4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Seal in rear end leaking...looking for info

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 06:48 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

100$ for a pinion seal?? damn i need to start charging more

Hardest part is getting the flange off then back on. The seal itself is cake and as long as you have the right size "installer" (PVC tubes work wonders)
Old 06-21-2010, 10:38 PM
JRad405
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by trailor
well that was the only job i've ever not done myself. i do, however, have a buddy that works at ford and he did the repair for 100 bucks total, so i couldn't pass it up. he had a hell of a time hammering the seal back in too. also, ive had some trouble with my neighbors about doin car repair in my own damn driveway, so i decided the 100 bucks was worth it to just get it out the way
your neighbors really get on your case about doing your own repairs in your OWN driveway??? do they complain about your car being loud too?

however, OP to be honest sometimes doing getting a shop to do it saves some headache if you don't have the equipment or time to do it yourself.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:06 AM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JRad405
your neighbors really get on your case about doing your own repairs in your OWN driveway??? do they complain about your car being loud too?
yeah they called the mayors office 3 times in one day when i had the car on jack stands for less than 4 hours, and i got a ticket from code enforcement. in the past i had gotten 3 warning violations as well for other different repairs. this is what happens when your neighbors, who just so happen to have been friends with my parents for almost 25 years, are retired and do nothing but drink and watch television all day, everyday. i never revved my car up, blared my music, or acted like an *** in any way. i was just bein a driveway mechanic minding his own business and being respectful of my neighbors, and this is thanks i get in return...

anyway, that $100 fee also included a diff fluid change, technically. the guy who did it gave me a few quarts of diff fluid a while back and never got the money from me, so he threw in a little extra charge to cover that, which i didn't mind at all. hell, the dealership woulda charged at least double that for a pinon seal replacement.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:13 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

This is what happens when your neighbors, who just so happen to have been friends with my parents for almost 25 years.
Those aren't friends man, at least not where I come from. People like that deserve to get **** in a brown bag lit on fire on their front doorstep.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:28 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Seriously...bag-o-sh*t will change their minds...
Old 06-22-2010, 08:06 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I don't know what state you live in, but in PA they can't do a damn thing if you're doing it in you're driveway, you can pull a motor if you want. The only time you can get in trouble is if its on the side of the road which is municpal property.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:53 PM
ct_white_stang
4th Gear Member

Are you sure its the pinon seal and not the diff cover?
Old 06-22-2010, 09:27 PM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PurpleIcedGT
Those aren't friends man, at least not where I come from. People like that deserve to get **** in a brown bag lit on fire on their front doorstep.
yeah tell me about it.. i doubt ill be leaving the flaming doo doo, ive got some other plans in the works. for instance, we share an alleyway, which he used to cut the grass on (keep in mind he's one of those freaks about lawn care). now he only cuts his half and keeps a pretty perfect line all the way down to the curb. so i just set my lawn mower two settings lower to burn the crap out the grass and nudge over his line quite a bit, and quite unevenly. drives the little @sshole nuts! like i said, i have a few other things in mind, but that one is the most consistently annoying.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:19 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

yeah tell me about it.. i doubt ill be leaving the flaming doo doo, ive got some other plans in the works. for instance, we share an alleyway, which he used to cut the grass on (keep in mind he's one of those freaks about lawn care). now he only cuts his half and keeps a pretty perfect line all the way down to the curb. so i just set my lawn mower two settings lower to burn the crap out the grass and nudge over his line quite a bit, and quite unevenly. drives the little @sshole nuts! like i said, i have a few other things in mind, but that one is the most consistently annoying.
Very nice! You should sign him up for free catalogs in the mail that will get his wife mad, ie..victoria's secret, fredericks of hollywood, that type of thing. hahaha...look on his face would be priceless
Old 06-23-2010, 06:58 AM
PurpleIcedGT
6th Gear Member

I agree with Devons statement above. However, I think you should lean more towards the magazines on the other side of the river....AKA Playgirl, and I dont know, any other non-heterosexual material. Do you have the guys email address? Thats another form of ammo. LOL aside from cutting grass to short because that is obviously you doing it. or even better yet, you can ICE him! Fedex him a smirnoff ice with a sign that says "Drop down on one knee and chug mother f'er!" LOL