4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Big problems with Spec stage 2 clutch

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 04:55 PM
Bladerunner
2nd Gear Member

Arrow Big problems with Spec stage 2 clutch

I recently had a reputable transmission shop install a Spec stage 2 clutch in my 96 GT.The biggest problem is it only lasted 5K miles.Since the day I
installedthis Spec stage 2 clutch it has made a chattering noise,bucking on take off and between shfits,and when I took my foot off the clutch petal
it made a kinda ticking noise.When I put my foot on the clutch petal the
ticking noise slowly went away.I never seen or heard anything like it with this
clutch.Also the petal pressure was heavy and not very streetable or smooth
at all.The transmission shop I had install this Spec stage 2 clutch took it all apart.The transmission techinican said that the Spec clutch disc failed and
then the throwout bearing failed soon after all within 5K miles.I did the proper
break in of this clutch and after the break in I wasn't hard on this clutch at
all.In the past I heard of people having problems with the Spec clutches.
Now I need a replacement clutch for my transmission shop to install.
What clutch should I get as a replacement?
Old 07-03-2010, 05:00 PM
redneck racer
2nd Gear Member

i always heard to go with the spec stage 3+ for mid to high hp cars that drive on both street and track. Not sure of the difference between the 2. Have you called and checked on any sort of warranty, i doubt they have one but its worth at least a call. Also if i was you i would have maybe taken it to a different shop before taking it back the the original one, if they messed up something, obviously they are going to blame it on the part. A 2nd shop would have said hey this install is wrong, or hey this part is crap.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:07 PM
Bladerunner
2nd Gear Member

The transmission shop I go to is very reputable.They have done clutch jobs for four of my friends and they all have Ford Mustangs.All my friends recommended this place and they never had a problem with any of the
clutches they had installed there.When I had my spec stage 2 clutch
installed they replaced the throwout bearing,throwout bearing retainer,
stock OEM Ford clutch cable,quadrant and firewall adjuster,pilot bearing,
brand new Spec steel flywheel,and transmission mount.I have researched
these Spec clutches and they are well known for making noise like chattering
and ticking etc. Mine even bucked on me.They aligned my clutch correctly
using the Spec clutch alignment tool.The stock OEM clutch cable was also
adjusted correctly too. I highly doubt that my transmission shop made a mistake when they installed my Spec clutch.They installed four of my friends
clutches and their clutches are just fine.Alot of other people have also had
problems with these Spec clutches.My Spec stage 2 clutch was stiff as a
board and I honestly hated the feel of this clutch.I'm convinced that Spec
clutches are inferior junk and I will never putchase a Spec clutch or product
ever again in my life.i highly recommend not giving Spec your business after my experience with dealing with Spec.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:22 PM
Bladerunner
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by redneck racer
i always heard to go with the spec stage 3+ for mid to high hp cars that drive on both street and track. Not sure of the difference between the 2. Have you called and checked on any sort of warranty, i doubt they have one but its worth at least a call. Also if i was you i would have maybe taken it to a different shop before taking it back the the original one, if they messed up something, obviously they are going to blame it on the part. A 2nd shop would have said hey this install is wrong, or hey this part is crap.
As for power I'm only making 215rwhp and 280rwtq.
The shop manager and shop owner was really mad they said that Spec clutches are inferior and they will never install another Spec clutch or Spec product for a customer ever again.They also said that they didn't want
their reputation ruined because of Spec clutches and they will never use
Spec products ever again.They are going to give me a deal on installing a
different brand clutch. As for me I'm going to take my loss and never purchase another Spec clutch or product ever again in my life screw Spec.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:07 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Just because a shop has installed clutches for you're friends in the past doesn't mean they are immune from making mistakes in the future. It could of something as simple as it wasn't aligned correctly, maybe the clutch and flywheel surface wasnt cleaned properly, maybe a patch of grease got on the friction surface. When you say you replaced the clutch cable and firewall adjuster I am assuming this means you have an aftermarket adjustable adjuster on the firewall, are you sure that you're cable was adjusted properly. Factory OEM clutch cables have a very low failure rate but after a few miles I would of checked it to make sure it didn't get an intitial stretch. I ran a spec stage 1 clutch with 420rwp and it held up for about 5kmiles before it failed. (Track beatings did it in), and Im currently running a stage 2+ with no problems whatsover. I installed both clutches myself, a shop can always mess up and instead of fessing up or admitting to something small like clutch alignment or replacing a TOB/piliot bearing Its easier to blame it on the product rather than hurt their reputation.

Last edited by uberstang1; 07-05-2010 at 08:10 AM.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:41 AM
Bladerunner
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Just because a shop has installed clutches for you're friends in the past doesn't mean they are immune from making mistakes in the future. It could of something as simple as it wasn't aligned correctly, maybe the clutch and flywheel surface wasnt cleaned properly, maybe a patch of grease got on the friction surface. When you say you replaced the clutch cable and firewall adjuster I am assuming this means you have an aftermarket adjustable adjuster on the firewall, are you sure that you're cable was adjusted properly. Factory OEM clutch cables have a very low failure rate but after a few miles I would of checked it to make sure it didn't get an intitial stretch. I ran a spec stage 1 clutch with 420rwp and it held up for about 5kmiles before it failed. (Track beatings did it in), and Im currently running a stage 2+ with no problems whatsover. I installed both clutches myself, a shop can always mess up and instead of fessing up or admitting to something small like clutch alignment or replacing a TOB/piliot bearing Its easier to blame it on the product rather than hurt their reputation.
Well the transmission shop I go to has a good reputation.
They aligned the Spec stage 2 clutch correctly using the Spec clutch alignment tool.Also I used a UPR quadrant and firewall adjuster with a
stock OEM Ford clutch cable.The clutch cable was adjusted correctly and
it wasn't stretched.The clutch and flywheel surface was cleaned before they
installed anything I asked them.I did the proper break in of this clutch also
I drove like a grandpa for 700 miles and I was even easy on this clutch after
the break in.I also don't race at the track either.
I'm not the only person how has had problems with the Spec clutches.
Guys at the local track I go to have had problems with the Spec clutches
more so,the Spec stage 2 and 3 clutches.I'm convinced that Spec clutches
are inferior and I will never use one again.I'm happy I bought a Centerforce
clutch and flywheel because I loved the one on my old 92 LX I had witch
was a Centerforce 2 clutch.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:28 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I understand that people have had problems with spec, but people have had problems with all brand clutches. All I was saying is just because they claim they did everything correctly doesn't exactly mean thats how it happened. Someone could of just simply made a easy mistake with the clutch install. Obviously if you ask them they are going to say they did everything and did it all right.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:33 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Google "spec clutch failure", grab a beer and start reading. Most failures seem to be disc related with broken dampening springs and rivets.

I personally know of 3 that failed within 10k miles--one with only 2500...

I just found this while exploring:

Last edited by cliffyk; 07-06-2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:41 AM
jtfrog
2nd Gear Member

I,m sure the clutch could have failed or the shop messed up. Either way you'll never know. I just had a company send me a 11" flywheel swearing it was for my car. So when all said done, I bought a whole new set up including flywheel going in as soon as I drink my coffee. I had a vibration that was never found possibly the original flywheel wasn't resurfaced correct.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:45 AM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Google "spec clutch failure", grab a beer and start reading. Most failures seem to be disc related with broken dampening springs and rivets.

I personally know of 3 that failed within 10k miles--one with only 2500...

I just found this while exploring:

I agree^^^
Rhino Poopee!!!!

Quick Reply: Big problems with Spec stage 2 clutch