4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Big problems with Spec stage 2 clutch

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 10:23 PM
Bladerunner
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Google "spec clutch failure", grab a beer and start reading. Most failures seem to be disc related with broken dampening springs and rivets.

I personally know of 3 that failed within 10k miles--one with only 2500...

I just found this while exploring:

I never heard a more true statement in my life.
Spec=Rhino poop!: icon_toast:
Old 07-06-2010, 11:39 PM
masterofthepuppets99
2nd Gear Member

i have a spec stage 2 clutch on my stang and have never had problems with it. after 5k miles i just swapped it into my 4v engine and it looks new. i abuse that clutch everyday! ill admit, your left leg starts building muscle real quick with that damn clutch though. i did notice that when i first installed the clutch, my pedal was VERY tight, like way worse than normal. so i simply pulled the pedal up and it self adjusted back to normal. are you sure that you adjusted your clutch pedal after the clutch was installed?
Old 07-07-2010, 04:41 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by masterofthepuppets99
i have a spec stage 2 clutch on my stang and have never had problems with it. after 5k miles i just swapped it into my 4v engine and it looks new. i abuse that clutch everyday! ill admit, your left leg starts building muscle real quick with that damn clutch though. i did notice that when i first installed the clutch, my pedal was VERY tight, like way worse than normal. so i simply pulled the pedal up and it self adjusted back to normal. are you sure that you adjusted your clutch pedal after the clutch was installed?
Like anything else in the world they are not all bad--Spec would have been out of business a long time ago if that were true.

It remains however there are numerous well-documented examples of Spec clutches literally falling apart--these were collected from the web in less than 15 minutes, each a separate incident:

Search Google for "ram", "fidanza", "act", "exedy", "center force", etc. + "clutch failure" and you won't find as many horror stories combined as there are related to Spec--and they are dicks to deal with too, everything is always your fault--their product is infallible.

Other than that...
Old 07-07-2010, 06:14 PM
Bladerunner
2nd Gear Member

That's good to know at least I'm not the only one how had a
Spec clutch fail on them.So you say that Spec are ****** to
deal with also? I'm glad I didn't try to return my Spec clutch
and I just bought a new Centerforce clutch.Nothing worst that
dealing with a company that has a inferior product and terrible
customer service also.Thanks for posting those picks I will never purchase another Spec product again in my life.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:26 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I contacted them once in early 2008 after the Stage 1 clutch we put in my brother's '99 GT self-destructed, that was enough for me--I can get insulted almost anywhere, without paying long distance charges (the 800 number is for orders ONLY)...

They are about 500 miles from here and if I were 20 years younger they would have had a "visitation"...