4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Suggestions to fix intermittent engine start

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 04:26 PM
techsent
1st Gear Member

Default Suggestions to fix intermittent engine start

Hey Guys,

In need of your help in fixing this problem.

3 weeks ago, I purchased JB fuel injector cleaner. On an empty tank (low fuel indicator light was illuminated on the dash board), I added the cleaner to the fuel tank but didn't fill the tank up (as instructed on the bottle). I only filled the tank half way. 2 days after that when I tried to start the car, the engine turned over and when I released the key ignition, the car almost started but didn't. I tried a 2nd time and it started right up just fine. Idles fine and drives great.

The same thing happens most of the time now. If I go to the store then return to the car, it does it again but if I go some where else and try, it starts right up. I go some where else and the problem happens again. I tried cycling the ignition on/off a few times so the fuel pump would prime the fuel lines but it makes no difference.

3 days ago, I had the fuel filter changed out and all was well for 1 day but now the problem continues.

I spoke with a guy at the Ford parts counter and he thinks that the fuel pump strainer may be clogged up with setiments that may have been at the bottom of the fuel tank because I didn't follow the instructions on the bottle.

Now, after 3 or more false starts, the check engine light comes on. I have to pull the battery cables to reset the computer so the light will go out.

I have had this car for 4 years now with 106,000 miles and have never had a problem with starting the car.

Im thinking that I screwed up and now I should replace the fuel pump. I learned that could cost any where from $500.00-$800.00.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Old 08-21-2010, 10:35 PM
techsent
1st Gear Member

Hey guys,

Turns out the problem was related to a loose negative battery cable. I recently changed out the battery around the time that I purchased the fuel injector cleaner. Once the problem started, I kept disconnecting the cable to reset the computer. Yesterday, I tightened the cable again and pulled on the connector to verify it was tight and it pulled right off. Turns out the screw to tighten the cable was stripped. Replaced it and life is good again.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:39 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Good advice--modern cars (I'm old so "modern" means anything made after 1996) are rather sensitive to voltage drops while cranking--anything below 10.5V is trouble, below 10.0V means it likely won't start.

Poor connections anywhere will create problems, but the high current ground connections start out not that great (just a couple of straps to the chassis and the block) and often get neglected...
Old 08-23-2010, 04:08 PM
medrick
2nd Gear Member

Thats hilarious. Ive done similar things as well and so have most on the forums so don't feel bad. At least it turned out to be a cheap fix for you!.