4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

NEED NEW INJECTORS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 03:10 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

More than that, what octane are you running and what tune do you have in the car?

His tune is custom, not canned. We don't offer anything based from a sole SCT value file a.k.a. canned. Our files have been developed by tuning professionals using a database that includes years of custom tuning experience on this platform.

Datalogging or not, if the wrong injector was used, it will throw off the fueling enough where the car will not react properly and will have a ton of hesitation.

Pinging is a different symptom. In this case, it sounds like we have a different issue. Of course the tune advancing the timing could cause pinging if he wasn't using quality gas. It doesn't mean it's the tune. If he's running a 93 octane tune with 93 octane from a gas station that's known for high ethanol content and don't go through their gas timely enough, that could be it. Fuel filter could be the issue, there's a million reasons.

If he calls one of the Bama custom tuning experts at 888.226.9764, they can clear this issue up within 10 minutes of being on the phone. We'll help him diagnose and find the issue. As well, if we find that his car just doesn't "tolerate" timing well (which we RARELY see, but it happens), we can try running him around 24-26 degrees at WOT on premium fuel and hopefully that helps. We can also send out a log that he can use to datalog with livelink software to ensure fuel trims look good and that there isn't an underlying issue (which im pretty confident that there is).

Chris
Old 09-27-2010, 05:30 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

No disrespect meant. But if the tune isn't developed using parameters datalogged specifically from one vehicle its a canned tune, not custom. I don't care how many vehicles you've averaged your parameters and tables from. I don't care if Chuck Norris is your tuning professional, standard deviation says your tune is not guaranteed good for every vehicle, and it most certainly isn't optimal or custom. I proudly bought my SCT SF3 via American Muscle(awesome company) and my 93 octane strategy tune happens to ping under load at around 40-80% throttle on my 03 GT. Doesn't ping on any other tune, hmmmmmmmm.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Custom
-adjective
Made specifically for individual customer(s): Custom Shoes.
-------------------------------------------------------------

GL with your issue OP, with a little timing retard and tinkering this issue should go away.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:51 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I agree, and offer this taxonomy of my own devise, presented in increasing order of desirability (110% IMHO):

Canned = What one gets with the base tuned created by a handheld or PC-based tuning system, or an initially delivered mail order (see below) tune. I.e. a tune created either manually or by an automated algorithm, and based upon some knowledge base and the end user's responses to input selections, questions, system description forms, etc.

Mail Order Custom = Subsequent tunes, produced by someone from afar, based upon end user feedback of additional information/metrics such as data logs, user observations, and anecdotal reports--but without the tuner's direct observation¹ of engine performance;

Canned/Tweaked = A Canned (non mail order) tune that has been further modified by a tuner or end-user, based upon direct observation¹ of an engine's performance. It is accomplished by using the "fine tuning" capabilities offered by a handheld or PC-based tuning system. Most such systems make provision for global and range based fueling and timing adjustment that can provide ;

Fully Customised = A tune derived from immediate direct observation¹ of a specific engine's performance and reaction to changes to the engine control system, and applying that feedback so as to fully optimise a specific engine's tune. Full optimisation requires use of a low level tuning system offering access and modification of every aspect of a tune's scalar values, tables, and function definitions.

-----------------------------------------------------
¹ - By direct observation of engine performance I refer to utilisation of some mechanism or procedure for monitoring engine performance, and offering the ability to compare the performance of various tunes. This may be a dynamometer, accelerometer, and/or track or other time/distance measurements.