4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Transgo aode hd2 help

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 08:28 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rman101
hmm links to the threads that said the Jmod was garbage?
just wondering because ide be interested in reading them because on this forum it seems most say jmod>transgo

I have a transgo and am still debating what one to do. I know alot of deisel guys enlarge the valves etc such as as the Jmod does. And from what ive heard most cop cars get a transgo shift kit installed? (idk about that last part what i heard but if its true and cop cars go through alot of **** then it could prove that they are durable parts)
i dont think anyone's ever said the jmod is garbage. but i've just heard that the transgo is a little better then the jmod. a few people on other forums who've said it have tried both and recommend the trans go.

also, i heard a lot of stories about the trans go eating trannies back when they came out, but i haven't heard one story about a recent kit eating thru them.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:47 AM
tbirdscwd
5th Gear Member

The j-mod is definitely better than stock, and in combination with modifying the line pressure in the tune can make for a decent shifting transmission. There are some things that it leaves out and what most guys do for a typical "J-mod" is kind of questionable to some.

On the other hand, while not all trans experts agree with HOW the transgo kit accomplishes it's firm and quick shifts......they do agree that it works very well and when installed properly, it will not hurt your transmission.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:43 PM
rman101
2nd Gear Member

im not to well versed on the insides of a transmission which is why i wouldnt do the isntall myself but i take it you cant do both?

And does the transgo just increase line pressure similar to a tune? ( i know the tune does it in the computer and the transgo would do it mechanically)
Old 01-05-2011, 07:53 PM
MustangGt40th
2nd Gear Member

I installed the Trans-Go shift kit myself with a buddy on jack stands and we were 16 at the time with no transmission knowledge outside of a pan service. Took us a couple of hours. It comes with pretty detailed instructions and a step-by-step video on their website. It basically just replaces some springs and you add some spacers in some of the actuators.

Also, you don't have to know about the internals of a transmission because all you are working on is the valve body which is right above the pan and filter.

Some cool things about the Trans-Go kit is that it allows you to choose how firm or not firm you want the shifts to be by letting you choose how many spacers you put in. (The more spacers, the firmer the shifts.)

This, along with my Diablosport tuner, and my shifts are very nice and firm. Much better than the factory sloppy shifting.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:15 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

im not to well versed on the insides of a transmission which is why i wouldnt do the isntall myself but i take it you cant do both?

And does the transgo just increase line pressure similar to a tune? ( i know the tune does it in the computer and the transgo would do it mechanically)
no you cannot do both. the two kits basically just change springs and allow more fluid to flow thru, not upping the pressure just the volume. i'm against upping the line pressure much at all. a little increase is alright but when people max out their line pressures on their tuners it's usually a matter of time before something goes wrong.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:24 PM
MustangGt40th
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ctgreddy
i'm against upping the line pressure much at all. a little increase is alright but when people max out their line pressures on their tuners it's usually a matter of time before something goes wrong.
+1 !!!
Old 01-05-2011, 08:35 PM
rman101
2nd Gear Member

yeah i have had the pressure upd for about a year in mine idk what he has it at with the dyno tune but it is Really clunky shifting into 4th gear now not everything but maybe 1 out of 4 times or half the time. idk not to steal thread but any idea what that would be?
Old 01-05-2011, 08:38 PM
MustangGt40th
2nd Gear Member

...it is Really clunky shifting into 4th gear now not everything but maybe 1 out of 4 times or half the time.
Mine does the same thing going into 4th, I as well don't know what it is. I would think it isn't bad lol
Old 01-05-2011, 08:40 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

yeah i have had the pressure upd for about a year in mine idk what he has it at with the dyno tune but it is Really clunky shifting into 4th gear now not everything but maybe 1 out of 4 times or half the time. idk not to steal thread but any idea what that would be?
clunky? only thing i can think of is possibly the o/d band is getting worn and isn't grabbing right away.

my buddy with a ws6 got a tuner and upped his trans pressure to the max, said it shifted so hard it would almost snap his neck in the 1-2 shift. well 2 days later his trans went out. .
Old 01-05-2011, 08:40 PM
rman101
2nd Gear Member

lol good maybe because it is the overdrive gear that might come into play o well thanks for the info guys and ill look into doing that install myself in the near future, that a trans flush and a nice cooler

Quick Reply: Transgo aode hd2 help