4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

shifting

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 08:44 AM
03Stanger

Default shifting

there is alot of mention of shift points and power shifting on this site, but never elaborated for the lamen. does soemone know of a thread already covering both of these aspects of shifting?
if not please help to create such a guide right here in this thread.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:14 AM
Sick96Stang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: shifting

ORIGINAL: 03Stanger

there is alot of mention of shift points and power shifting on this site, but never elaborated for the lamen. does soemone know of a thread already covering both of these aspects of shifting?
if not please help to create such a guide right here in this thread.
If you have a stock to mildly modified GT it seems that the ideal shift point is around 5500 or so, they say you dont make power all the way up to redline. As far as power shifting I'm not quite sure what u are asking. Are you asking how to do it? Or if it makes a difference or what?
Old 08-23-2005, 01:49 PM
03Stanger

thanks for the shift point info, as far as power shifting. i was looking for a difinative answer as to what it really is. It coudl meam many things to many people. I race MOTOX and for us powershifting is shift at full throttle with out the use of the clutch. i dont even think that is possible in a stang. so what is powershifing in car terms. shift with out lifting your foot form the gas, and still use the clutch as usual? As i said. i want this to be a complete guide for the noob on these 2 subjects. thanks for the imput.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:51 PM
Sick96Stang
2nd Gear Member

thanks for the shift point info, as far as power shifting. i was looking for a difinative answer as to what it really is. It coudl meam many things to many people. I race MOTOX and for us powershifting is shift at full throttle with out the use of the clutch. i dont even think that is possible in a stang. so what is powershifing in car terms. shift with out lifting your foot form the gas, and still use the clutch as usual? As i said. i want this to be a complete guide for the noob on these 2 subjects. thanks for the imput.
When I hear powershifting I think of shifting without lifting up on the gas. I dont even see how u could shift without using the clutch.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:07 PM
Stever

ORIGINAL: Sick96Stang

When I hear powershifting I think of shifting without lifting up on the gas. I dont even see how u could shift without using the clutch.

I'm just getting into the whole "sports car" stuff so I don't know much about any of this but I wonder if power shifting refers to simply dropping from a higher gear to a lower gear? I know when I do that to my stang it really throws me back in to the seat.

Old 08-23-2005, 03:43 PM
Sick96Stang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stever

ORIGINAL: Sick96Stang

I'm just getting into the whole "sports car" stuff so I don't know much about any of this but I wonder if power shifting refers to simply dropping from a higher gear to a lower gear? I know when I do that to my stang it really throws me back in to the seat.

Thats called downshifting, power shifting is just a way of changing gears faster.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:48 PM
tcuallstar
4th Gear Member

yea just kep your foot on the gas while shifting and if your shift is quick enough then it wont bounce off the redline, careful about grinding gears and bending shift forks.. if you really wanna get into power shifing go with a short throw shifter like a MGW or steeda. ill be getting the mgw soon
Old 08-23-2005, 07:59 PM
MustangChris04
5th Gear Member

i can shift without using the clutch. Its just I cant do it while going real fast...

Old 08-24-2005, 02:25 AM
jishead
2nd Gear Member

I used to drive 18 wheelers OTR and could shift clutchless no problems by matching up the RPMs correctly. I can't seem to get it done in the GT. Probably just scared!
Old 09-14-2005, 02:12 AM
stupidfast98gt

what i like the shiftpoint from 1st to 2nd when i want to churp the wheels and make a scene i switch around 5200-5400 rpms