4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Do "bolt-ons" really work?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 05:59 PM
Sick96Stang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Do "bolt-ons" really work?

ORIGINAL: JD1969

ORIGINAL: Fryguy22

Exactly, if you put a supercharger on without replacing almost all of the stock engine parts, the engine is going to blow up. Ive spent 5-6k on my engine and now it is finally ready for a supercharger or NOS. I mean it is possible to put it on a stock engine, however the engine will not last long.
No offence but I really hate posts like this. First off you can spray or boost just about any stock bottom end and have it live a very very long time. The key is, and follow along here, conservative boost/spray levels and a good tune. Now if you want alot of boost or spray , then yes a forged bottom and higher quality parts are a must.
Well first off spray pretty much has nothing to do with your bottom end. You are more likely to blow your intake manifold spraying than you are your bottom end. You cant group spray and blower into the same catergory because they affect different areas of the engine. Why do u think 03 cobra's come with a forged bottom end? If the motors can last so so so long on a stock bottom end with a blower then why would they do that? Ford would definetely not do it to try and please there customers I can tell u that much right now nor would they do it so you can easily modify your cars because lets face it look at how Ford designed half there stuff they obviously did not have aftermarket parts in mind when desigining the 4.6. Like I said in my post above sure you can run low PSI on the stock bottom end and it will be OK for a certain period of time, but the engine will give out much much quicker when blown than N/A. Thats half the reason people stay N/A. N/A set ups are much much more realiable setups than blown setups, because the engine doesnt have nearly as much stress on it.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:03 PM
Sick96Stang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MikeHawke

There is no problem at all putting a supercharger on a bone stock engine with bone stock exhaust.

No, the S/C may not perform as well as it possibly can but who cares? It's still a better bang for your buck and a whole lot less trouble than full exhaust, gears, intake, etc, etc.... that everyone else is suggesting.

Theoretically, you can safely and easily add 100 HP (@ the crank) to a 2 valve 99+ 4.6 for about the same money as you are spending on all that other crap that will only get you about 60, on a good day.

Personally, I'm tired of doing hours of labor and spending hundreds, if not, thousands on mods that only net me 10 - 15 WHP. I should have just bought a blower right off the bat.

I think a nice conservative blower that you can upgrade later with pullies or an intercooler and a good tune is a great way to go. You can always do the other mods (starting with full exhaust) as time goes on. He said he won't be doing anything else for a long time anyway.

I'd blow the bish dude.
A whole lot less trouble in what sense? Sure the blower will give you power faster than doing all the bolt-ons but the bolt-ons are a much more realiable setup than a blower is. A blower adds a tremendous amount of stress to the engine. If you are going to do a blower might as well do it right get the forged bottom end and the blower at the same time so you can actually use the blowers potential. If you just buy a blower and run it on 6 PSI you really are not going to see that much in gains and you are still putting alot more stress on your engine than if you had full bolt-ons.
I'm all for getting a blower its by far the best power adding mod you can do, but just do it right, dont be stupid and think well if I only run low boost my engine will last just as long because it wont. I dont care what kind of tune you have and if you only run 6 PSI or whatever your engine life will be greatly reduced with a blower. Like I said save up your money and do it right from the start.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:05 PM
Dave2000GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Quickshift_02GT

You have to keep in mind that there is also a lot of preparation for a supercharger, if you do it right. I just can't see how some people take a stock GT and toss in a blower and run 350+HP at the wheels with everything else just stock. It's just plane stupid.
Yes, why spend $4000 for 350 RWHP when you could spend $4000 doing full exhaust and intake and get like 260 RWHP ???

I've spoken with some reaqlly experienced tuners/mechanics and the one thing they have always said is forget longtubes, forget intake, get a K&N + Gears, and save up for your blower, because at the end of the day your car will kick serious *** over the loaded bolt-on cars, and you'll be no worse off in the pocket.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:36 AM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

ORIGINAL: Sick96Stang

ORIGINAL: JD1969

ORIGINAL: Fryguy22

Exactly, if you put a supercharger on without replacing almost all of the stock engine parts, the engine is going to blow up. Ive spent 5-6k on my engine and now it is finally ready for a supercharger or NOS. I mean it is possible to put it on a stock engine, however the engine will not last long.
No offence but I really hate posts like this. First off you can spray or boost just about any stock bottom end and have it live a very very long time. The key is, and follow along here, conservative boost/spray levels and a good tune. Now if you want alot of boost or spray , then yes a forged bottom and higher quality parts are a must.
Well first off spray pretty much has nothing to do with your bottom end. You are more likely to blow your intake manifold spraying than you are your bottom end. You cant group spray and blower into the same catergory because they affect different areas of the engine. Why do u think 03 cobra's come with a forged bottom end? If the motors can last so so so long on a stock bottom end with a blower then why would they do that? Ford would definetely not do it to try and please there customers I can tell u that much right now nor would they do it so you can easily modify your cars because lets face it look at how Ford designed half there stuff they obviously did not have aftermarket parts in mind when desigining the 4.6. Like I said in my post above sure you can run low PSI on the stock bottom end and it will be OK for a certain period of time, but the engine will give out much much quicker when blown than N/A. Thats half the reason people stay N/A. N/A set ups are much much more realiable setups than blown setups, because the engine doesnt have nearly as much stress on it.
Tell that to my 2 broken rods and melted pistons.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:37 AM
Quickshift_02GT
4th Gear Member

I've spoken with some reaqlly experienced tuners/mechanics and the one thing they have always said is forget longtubes, forget intake, get a K&N + Gears, and save up for your blower, because at the end of the day your car will kick serious *** over the loaded bolt-on cars, and you'll be no worse off in the pocket.

I never said anything about bolt-ons for performance. I said everything stock.

Did these experienced people say anything suspension and brakes? What about tires? You think stock tires with 350+HP and 4.10/3.73 gears are going to give you any advantage over a loaded bolt-on? Yes, IF you can get up to speed in time and get some traction...eventually. Nothing should be left out when putting that kind of power to the road, that's all I'm saying. The last thing I want is some punk-kid in a high horsepower car thinking he's king of the road when he loses control and hurts someone I know.

Do it right, or don't do it at all.

There is far more to a car than power.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:01 AM
Dave2000GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Quickshift_02GT

I never said anything about bolt-ons for performance. I said everything stock.

Did these experienced people say anything suspension and brakes? What about tires? You think stock tires with 350+HP and 4.10/3.73 gears are going to give you any advantage over a loaded bolt-on? Yes, IF you can get up to speed in time and get some traction...eventually. Nothing should be left out when putting that kind of power to the road, that's all I'm saying. The last thing I want is some punk-kid in a high horsepower car thinking he's king of the road when he loses control and hurts someone I know.

Do it right, or don't do it at all.

There is far more to a car than power.
Well the bolt ons being referred to in this thread are power adders like exhaust / intake / etc... so when comparing power adders your way better off to just save up and get a blower than nickel and dime your money away on the small stuff.