4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Importance of torque specs??

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 05:09 PM
fordadvisor

Default torque or not to torque

hey bud as far as torque specs go use them, i work for ford, we put those specs out for a reason, if your worried about overtorquing your lugnuts find the specs and get a torque stick, it will begin to bow at the rated torque and will let an impact gun slip, no problems. i keep seeing these guys put tight is tight their right. tight as a hell and strip a bolt or you think its tight and your no where near having a bolt tightened down enough.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:29 PM
KillJoy
3rd Gear Member

Torque sticks are a gimmick. I trust my natural feel, rather than a false security.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:51 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Ok big guy, you work for Ford, so you must pull about 15hrs a week. While your on OASIS searching for torque specs of interior clips... I'll be out doin some real work. I know whats tight, whats too tight, and what needs to be torqued. I simply told the OP that front end components do not need to be hit with a torque wrench.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:48 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
Ok big guy, you work for Ford, so you must pull about 15hrs a week. While your on OASIS searching for torque specs of interior clips... I'll be out doin some real work. I know whats tight, whats too tight, and what needs to be torqued. I simply told the OP that front end components do not need to be hit with a torque wrench.
Im gonna hit that girl on your facebook with my torque stick. /thread.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:38 AM
fordadvisor

Hey whitefoxgt i was giving the guy my advice. no need to post about it, if you think i dont know what im talking about thats fine, just ignore the fact i work on these cars everyday and all your assumptions are right.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:14 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by fordadvisor
Hey whitefoxgt i was giving the guy my advice. no need to post about it, if you think i dont know what im talking about thats fine, just ignore the fact i work on these cars everyday and all your assumptions are right.
Im not trying to bust *****, but a torque stick is probably the most inaccurate torquing device to use and I'm suprised dealers still use them, thats something for jiffylube and sears.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:54 PM
KillJoy
3rd Gear Member

Funny you say that, I am a tech for Ramsey Ford of Elkton Maryland. We do not accept torque sticks as a proper torqueing device. I also work on "these" cars everyday...
Old 02-25-2011, 06:40 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Since we're skill dropping, I worked at Carman Ford in New Castle DE for almost 5yrs. So Im going to ignore the fact that you work on these cars. Like I said, I'll tell the guy real world advise you stick to reading the book
Old 02-25-2011, 09:21 PM
mineralpony
2nd Gear Member

Old 02-26-2011, 10:11 AM
harbre32
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the resumes guys. They belong on monster.com not here. The guy just asked the proper torque. pffffff women

Quick Reply: Importance of torque specs??