4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

HID mishap

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 09:36 PM
MustangGt40th
2nd Gear Member

Angry HID mishap

Well it seems like nothing for me can go smoothly or like its supposed to. I was installing my DDM HID kit and i was putting the three prongs into the blue thing(good technical term I know) and then I realized that I had the three prongs in the wrong slots. So I got the first two out no problem, but the the third one was somehow stuck in there and eventually got broken off inside the blue thing. It still isnt coming out.

Can anyone tell me what I need to buy to replace that whole part of the HID kit, like wires and prongs and the blue thing? I dont have any headlights until I get this fixed.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:18 AM
Blk003GT
4th Gear Member

no idea what your talking about. take a picture and post it. i have an extra ballast and wiring. the ballast dosen't work but i have the wiring.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:07 AM
nasty04GT

yea... i kinda dont know what you're trying to say with the explanation either. but if you're trying to say that one of the plugs broke inside the blue thing, then cant you get it out with some twezers or with a needle? i had that happen to my HIDs (fog lights) last year. it felt like surgery trying to get that thing out
Old 03-11-2011, 06:26 AM
MustangGt40th
2nd Gear Member

I tried using needle nose pliers to get it out, but that sucker aint coming out. I pulled on if for almost 20 minutes.

The attachment is the blue thing and prongs I was talking about. It's the thing that plugs into one side only into the factory headlight plug in.
Attached Thumbnails HID mishap-9004_9007_high_low__wiring_assignment.jpg  
Old 03-11-2011, 07:06 AM
87fordgt

When you pushed those in there there was a snap. That was a little metal tab that snapped into the blue connector. I think the best way to get it is to use something like nasty04GT said and use a thin, but strong needle to see of you can push it down while sliding the pin out of the plug. I learned long ago that plug and play doesn't always work that way. I always use a test light to figure out where to plug the wires into. I did the same thing on my first set that wasn't preplugged for me. Good luck.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:00 AM
MustangGt40th
2nd Gear Member

Well the wire ended up breaking off the prong and the prong is still in the the blue connector. Im just going to have to buy a replacement harness. What do I buy that would include these prongs and a new blue connector?
Old 03-12-2011, 02:21 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangGt40th
Well the wire ended up breaking off the prong and the prong is still in the the blue connector. Im just going to have to buy a replacement harness. What do I buy that would include these prongs and a new blue connector?
Shoot them an e-mail and they can get you the right one for a few bucks.

The prongs, I guess, have little pieces which are supposed to lock them into the blue connector. They fold out after insertion. If you take a small screwdriver you can probably push them back alongside the prong and slide it out. You will need to push the prong as far as it will go into the blue connector to be able to bend them down.

BTW, good choice on DDM. I've got quite a few of their kits (approx. 12) on friends cars and they all work wonderfully. I've got an HID kit from stangmods in my headlights and it's been replaced six times in two years. It's bad yet again, too. What a waste of $300 that turned out to be.

Edit: Also meant to say, if you can get the prong out of there you can just resolder it onto the wire and be golden.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:52 AM
87fordgt

Another idea...I don't know how much you paid, but if it wasn't to hateful I would just buy another set for the harness you need and for spares. I have had the ballast go out on me and the bulbs at separate times. It wouldn't hurt to have a replacement on hand. These things don't last forever.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:10 AM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

They make a tool that is made for removing pins from connectors. Radio shack might have it.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:03 AM
MustangGt40th
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for all your help guys! I had emailed DDM about my problem and they called me last night. They were so helpful. They are sending me a whole new harness for free, just gotta pay the 5 bucks for shipping. They have me as a customer for life, very easy to work with and great products.

And I know there was a pin, because I got the other two out like that, but somehow, I guess when I first put it in, the pin got inverted I guess you could say, and got all bent up inside. So last night I pulled on it one more time with needle nose pliers and it finally came out lol.

Thanks again for all yalls help.