4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

4.6L SOHC powered MKIV Supra? Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 04:09 PM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

Wow. Terrible idea.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:13 PM
tracyballard
2nd Gear Member

you would be a lot better off just going down to autozone and buying a $1200 remanufactured small block chevy to put in the supra, there are even kits available to help you do it. leave that 'Stang as it is, or sell it to finance your project.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:21 PM
ZeroTX
2nd Gear Member

I know you're trying to get your Supra running, but if you don't have $3k to spend, you don't have enough money to do this. You'll find about 1,000 things you didn't expect as you go along and they will all cost money. In the end, you'll have two broken cars. Just keep your running GT and wait until you can afford a proper engine for the Supra... even as some have said, put in a crate Chevy 350, way cheaper and there's probably a kit out there to do this already.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:03 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ZeroTX
I know you're trying to get your Supra running, but if you don't have $3k to spend, you don't have enough money to do this. You'll find about 1,000 things you didn't expect as you go along and they will all cost money. In the end, you'll have two broken cars. Just keep your running GT and wait until you can afford a proper engine for the Supra... even as some have said, put in a crate Chevy 350, way cheaper and there's probably a kit out there to do this already.

Woh woh woh, lets not make this thread any dumber than it is. Small Block Ford.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:10 PM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AaronD
Okay.. so I have a 1993 Toyota Supra N/A. Engine is completely FUBAR... not really.. but no mechanic seems to can figure it out.. Anyways.. to the point.

My 2002 GT is convertible.. which i'm not crazy about.

So i had a crazy idea to put the Modular into my Supra.. Because initially i want to drive the Supra.. but love the domestic V8 thing..

Also, before we continue.. i can't afford the 4.6L DOHC or the 2JZ-GTE engine.. and i'm not looking to make ridiculous hp, 350-425RWHP would be key..

Anyways, lastly.. I'm trying to figure up any problems I might meet. Getting the engine in shouldn't be too complicated.. but i'm thinking more ECU, wiring harness, etc.
Originally Posted by sxynerd
It's probably a POS that he couldn't get much for. Although if a car drives down the road it's worth at least 500
I agree ^^^^ Pictures of Mustang or BS !!! Why take a good Mustang for motor when you can sell Mustang as whole?

Last edited by Repzard; 03-22-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:27 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by AaronD
Yes, I'm not trying to be cheap.. i'm being realistic. Everyone can say go buy a 4.6L DOHC or a 2JZ-GTE motor.. but I do not have $3,XXX.XX to buy the engines. I can do the swap.. should be gutting the Supra and Mustang.. label every wire coming out of anything. Attach it all back into the Supra. Make the engine mounts, fab up the driveshaft so it will bolt up to the Supra rear-end. I'll have to figure out how to make the ignition work.. either keyless push button start or some other method.. that's probably were a lot of the money will be going. and then making the interior look presentable.

That's what i thought.. but everyone wants to critique. I'm sure people hated Christopher Columbus and his idea to find another chunk of land in a huge body of water.. but he found America damnit!

Because i owe on the GT.. i know, why do that and make a car i'm paying on disabled? Because i don't care.. I want to drive the Supra and it's my idea. I won't sell anything. And the job won't be thrown together.. The weakest part of the swap will be that it's with a 4.6L SOHC Engine.
Not trying to be a a-hole, but you claim you had to educate someone on the ford modular motors but I beleive your knowledge is lacking, because originally you said you just wanna swap the SOHC instead of the DOHC because you didn't want anything crazy just 350-425 rwp. Anyone with a fair amount of knowledge knows you are NOT going to make that kind of horsepower with a 2v especially if you don't even have 3,xxx$ to spend on a motor........a new supercharger setup for the 2v to make 425 wheel is gonna cost 4k plus and thats keeping the stock bottom end motor of course, yes u can find a used kit for 2.5-3k but obviously if you dont even have a 3k budget your horsepower goal as way out of reach.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:26 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sxynerd
If you can't afford the DOHC, You can't afford the conversion.
This thread could have stopped here. Just sayin'....
Old 03-22-2011, 09:39 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Z28KLR
This thread could have stopped here. Just sayin'....
People like to beat a dead horse to feel better. I know I do.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:46 PM
tracyballard
2nd Gear Member

and I thought it was bad when bugs hit my windshield.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:05 PM
Red2002GT
1st Gear Member

I'll try to be a voice of reason.

1. The differance between a V8 an inline six in size and weight is going to completely destroy any type of handling the car has.
2. What about cooling? Think you can keep the V8 cooled in that engine compartment?
Can it fit a big enough radiator without being a high dollar custom job?
3. How are you on height? Are you gonna have to buy a hood to clear the 4.6?
4. Custom driveshafts and ujoints will eat into your budget.
5. Hope the car never has to pass a legal inspection.
6. You'll have to make a custom trans mount.
7. You'll have to make a custom exhaust
8. You'll need new springs just so the front isn't all over the road.
9. You may have to go with custom exhaust manifolds if the steering shaft interferes.
10. Good luck finding rad hoses between your 4.6 and what ever rad you get,even if you can put your mustang rad in there the distance between that and the motor might make the use of regular stock hoses impossible.
11. Gearing, I havn't fiddled around with imports in awhile but last time I did I noticed that they can have some crazy high rear end gears because their transmission is geared differently. So if using the supra rear with a mustang trans who knows how you'll calculate the speedo etc.
For that matter with the rear assembly of the supra hold up?
12. Are you gonna have to bash the firewall in for clearance? Hack the trans tunnel for the shifter? Cut under hood bracing to clear the TB and plenum?
13. Might need to get custom cables to go from the pedal to plenum.
14. Will the brakes be okay with the extra weight of the V8 and trans?
15. If you need bigger brakes you may need bigger wheels.
Its too late for me to think of more......
Have fun.
Post pics.

Quick Reply: 4.6L SOHC powered MKIV Supra? Thoughts?