4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Why coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 03:23 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tommy079
Ok so Jazzer, Aereon , and anyone else...Here is where I'm at on these rear shocks...

I solved my dilemma of being able to pay for those rear Grooved Bilstein rear shocks the way I want (with paypal) so that I can try rear coilovers in the future if I want to THANKS TO AEREON!!! I called stangsuspension like you said, and becaue they are a MM dealer they were able to provide me those shocks at just around $10 more than MM (but I can use my paypal).

So that should be PROBLEM SOLVED, Right? Well, then out of nowhere I get a response from this guy Norm on a thread I started on the best bang for your buck shocks, and he says, have you considered Koni Str.T? He said they are quite comparable to the Bilsteins, and are half the price (actually close to 1/3 of the price if I get the grooved Bilsteins).

So I called Stranoparts.com and talked for a while with the owner who felt that I could get by very nicely with Koni STR.T's. However, he also said that if I wanted to pay around the same thing I would be paying for Bilsteins that I could get the Koni Sports that are ADJUSTABLE! He said on their softest setting that they are about the same as the Koni STR's, but if I ever wanted to try out a stiffer shock that I'd have that option. And I do plan on going to a racing school next summer on a former Nascar racing track. So that would be nice to have for that.

So what do you guys think? Do you get what you pay for and the Bilstein HD's will cover me. Do I go for the STR's in hopes that at the lower price I will be comparable to the Bilstein. Or do I get an adjustable Shock at the same price?

Any input would help so much, because if it weren't for Norm and his awesome money saving idea I'd have a pair of grooved Bilsteins in my Stangsuspension shopping cart right now!
Koni str's =/= bilstein hd's, but damn the koni sports dropped in price.. shows how long it's been since I've been parts shopping.. can't go wrong with the koni's superb shocks, check to see what the stiffest spring they can support before you buy. If it's not stiff enough then you may need to reconsider.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:07 PM
Tommy079
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Aereon
Koni str's =/= bilstein hd's, but damn the koni sports dropped in price.. shows how long it's been since I've been parts shopping.. can't go wrong with the koni's superb shocks, check to see what the stiffest spring they can support before you buy. If it's not stiff enough then you may need to reconsider.

I was going to stick with my stock springs for a while and then eventually go to the H&R Sport (not super sport) I called and talked with a guy for a while and he said that they would be fine with both.