4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Question about hooking up a killswitch to your IAC....

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 04:53 PM
JRad405
3rd Gear Member

Why the IAC specifically. Theres a number of other things you could use the kill switch on. I.e. fuel cut off, battery cut off.

Those don't trip a CEL light either if you forget to turn the switch on.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:05 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I think the company that makes the silly things picked the IAC because it's an easily recognizable and readily accessible thing that will prevent non-professional drive-away thefts--or at least slow 'em down. They typically have only two wires and for the purposes of their method it doesn't matter which one you cut and wire in series with the supplied switch.

Once again however; so will PATS...
Old 06-06-2011, 09:47 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by 1996_4.6
Yup thats the one, Could I do this with the wires and switch I have? I have messed around a lot on that car and did a lot of work on it but never electrical is there a write up somewhere for coils or fuel relay kill? Thanks, that site sucks if they send people directions for your IAC, I knew it sounded fishy and kinda dumb that is why I had to ask the pros!
Why are you interested in hacking up your car's wiring like this?

The PATS (Securilock) system prevents even a relatively sophisticated car thief from driving off with your car; and even the most sophisticated drive away thieves would have to have $2k to $3k worth of electronics and wait for 20-30 minutes to disable/reprogram the PATS.

They (the crooks) know that, that's why theft insurance for our cars is pretty cheap.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:41 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

if the person tries to 2 foot the car and keeps the throttle partly open the car will start and run. seems like a big waste of money and time to me. someone is making money hand over fist. you could always go mad max style and rig it to explode if stolen lol
Old 06-06-2011, 02:40 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by jwog666
if the person tries to 2 foot the car and keeps the throttle partly open the car will start and run. seems like a big waste of money and time to me. someone is making money hand over fist. you could always go mad max style and rig it to explode if stolen lol
I agree, however you have to admire their ingenuity. Hook a 29¢ toggle switch up to $2 worth of cable, print up some crappy instructions, and then sell it to saps (I.e. the general USA motoring public) for $20 a pop.

It's even better than HHO, the FuelMaxx, the Turbonator, and the e-Ram electric supercharger--as I am sure it has much higher profit margin...
Old 06-06-2011, 03:33 PM
1996_4.6

Originally Posted by cliffyk
I agree, however you have to admire their ingenuity. Hook a 29¢ toggle switch up to $2 worth of cable, print up some crappy instructions, and then sell it to saps (I.e. the general USA motoring public) for $20 a pop.

It's even better than HHO, the FuelMaxx, the Turbonator, and the e-Ram electric supercharger--as I am sure it has much higher profit margin...
I'm not a sap I knew the IAC wouldn't work which is why I asked on here to make sure but wanted the wires and kill switch to kill something else and was hoping if someone knew where a write up was for maybe a install on a starter or fuel pump kill.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:46 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

I'm not a sap I knew the IAC wouldn't work which is why I asked on here to make sure but wanted the wires and kill switch to kill something else and was hoping if someone knew where a write up was for maybe a install on a starter or fuel pump kill.
go to your fuel pump inertia switch. pick either wire and cut it and splice the switch in. now your fuel pump wont run unless you close the switch. however your car has pats
passive anti theft system. your car wont start unless someone steals your keys and uses them. bottom line is if someone wants to steal your car all they need is a flatbed and a winch and its theirs.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:11 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Sorry 'bout that, I did not mean to imply you were--we all live and learn, some lessons cost us money...
Old 06-06-2011, 08:29 PM
1996_4.6

OK cool, the location of the fuel pump inertia switch, I heard under the drivers seat but when I looked it up it says passenger side fender well. So where do I go? Thanks!
Old 06-06-2011, 08:41 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

OK cool, the location of the fuel pump inertia switch, I heard under the drivers seat but when I looked it up it says passenger side fender well. So where do I go? Thanks!
Both incorrect, it's in the trunk, driver's side rear. IIRC there's a hole in the trunk liner that let's you reset it--mine was removed some years back and replaced with a jumper wire...

Quick Reply: Question about hooking up a killswitch to your IAC....