4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Ragtop Repair?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 06:01 AM
sinister99GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BLKSTANGER
I just double checked the guys ad down here in San Diego. $620 for a new top and another $325 for a new glass back window installed. I can give you his contact info if you like.
so the top by its self was 620.000+325.00 for the window for a total of 945.00 not. so when you said 625.00 for the whole top that did not include the window , which is a seprate part that isnt part of that top price.

whats up tommy, its good that you have a good shop near you. its hard to find people that are willing to help these days. if
Old 06-06-2011, 08:41 AM
Tommy079
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, this guy here in town is a pretty cool old cat. When I was stationed in Italy working on fighter jets I got the name of their shop from a guy at our sister squadron. Their jets all had sweet intake covers with their squadron patch embroidered on the front. So I convinced the air force to spend a little over $10,000 to buy the same sweet covers for our jets from this little shop in New Mexico. Less than a year or so later I get stationed here and now I live like 5 blocks from the shop. How weird is that.

Anyway so he helped me when my window was falling in, and I paid a cheap price for him to help me rework my worn out seat cushion. Now I just need to save up $900 and he'll redo the top for me (with the window). It seems that's the right price from what I've been reading. Anything less would be lesser quality I'm sure. I definately don't want some crappy plastic rear window, that's for sure.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:58 AM
sinister99GT
2nd Gear Member

thats cool, during the first gulf war, the shop i worked at we desighned and made hundreds of covers for the filters that are on the shanooks so the sand couldnt get into the engine filters when they were just sitting. a local company desighned and made the filters and we made the covers whith the remove before flight tags . what a pain in the azz it was.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:26 AM
OlGeezer

Originally Posted by sinister99GT
i own a auto upholstery shop in florida, you cant repair the window it needs to be replaced.it shouldnt cost more then 450.00 for a heated glass window, i do a top and glass for 925.00. you can look online at the auto top shop . com and see what the new glass would cost they are 189.00 and thats what i pay. any good shop should be able to install that glass in 3 hours at the most. i can do them in a hour and a half. but most likely therer will be other issues with the top unless it has been replaced in the last few years. if you have any questions PM me .
Is this something I can do? I'm not much with a wrench in my hand, but if I had step-by-step instructions, I might be willing to attempt it in this economy.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:22 AM
Tommy079
3rd Gear Member

The thing is man...it depends on what you're working on. The glass has to be purchased with the surrounding vinyl because it's connected to it with some special glueing method. So no...you definately cannot replace just the glass. Now the vinyl window section maybe, but since you've never done it before it would be like taking it to an upholstery shop and being their first customer ever. It's just that it has to be tight, and not crooked and all that. I'm pretty sure it can be stapled in, but I'll bet it's a special stapler/stapling method to get it tight.

Sounds risky to me for the $200 you'd pay to get it done right. Now if you're talking about replacing the whole top yourself (that already comes with a window.) That's probably mostly mechanical bolt on type stuff...but if you're not very handy with a wrench I'd worry about screwing it up. It's not like building a bookshelf There are things that have to line up just right to get it to close correctly, fold down right, and keep from leaking. As well as important cylinder, and heating element connections. I'd hate to screw it up when I could pay a guy who knows what to look for and has done the same thing 1000 times before. Just my thoughts.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:06 PM
OlGeezer

Originally Posted by Tommy079
The thing is man...it depends on what you're working on. The glass has to be purchased with the surrounding vinyl because it's connected to it with some special glueing method. So no...you definately cannot replace just the glass. Now the vinyl window section maybe, but since you've never done it before it would be like taking it to an upholstery shop and being their first customer ever. It's just that it has to be tight, and not crooked and all that. I'm pretty sure it can be stapled in, but I'll bet it's a special stapler/stapling method to get it tight.

Sounds risky to me for the $200 you'd pay to get it done right. Now if you're talking about replacing the whole top yourself (that already comes with a window.) That's probably mostly mechanical bolt on type stuff...but if you're not very handy with a wrench I'd worry about screwing it up. It's not like building a bookshelf There are things that have to line up just right to get it to close correctly, fold down right, and keep from leaking. As well as important cylinder, and heating element connections. I'd hate to screw it up when I could pay a guy who knows what to look for and has done the same thing 1000 times before. Just my thoughts.
I don't disagree. I just had to ask.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:24 AM
sinister99GT
2nd Gear Member

tommy is right, its not worth the risk of spending 200 bucks just to find out you cant make it happen and mess up that expensive part.plus you need the right tools, one of those cheap staple guns wont do it. plus all the bolts that hold it in are cover with nylon and if you dont use the right tool you will distroy them, they are 2 bucks each from the ford dealer. you cant get them any where else if they are even available any longer. i bought a bunch because i get cars in here that someone has messed with and has screwed them up. then its an extra hour hanging over the back seat with vicegrips getting them off. i hate that.