4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

sn95's PI swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 04:09 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

new toy from Bman2000 (thanks bro!!!)

going down this weekend to grab my longtubes and head gasket kit.

decided against cams, not willing to spend the $600 for the extra ~20hp, ill just wait till the stroker motor and buy 1 set.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:48 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

ugh buy cams. get used ones or something lol.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:02 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Never would have thought but that purple is a good looking color. Not sure I could pull it off though lol
Old 07-08-2011, 08:04 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SVTeeshirt
ugh buy cams. get used ones or something lol.
i want to but so far no luck on anything used

i want MHS cams because im not looking forward to having to swap out springs but if i find anything... we'll see

i need the car back on the road ASAP, we're down to my wifes Milan and thats it, my buddy talked me into selling him my truck so...
Old 07-09-2011, 06:15 AM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sn95_331_GT_ yellow
i want to but so far no luck on anything used

i want MHS cams because im not looking forward to having to swap out springs but if i find anything... we'll see

i need the car back on the road ASAP, we're down to my wifes Milan and thats it, my buddy talked me into selling him my truck so...
get the cams now. you'll be happier and wont have to redo anything later if you decide that you want them.

you'll love that MGW. i have one and its freakin amazing how awesome it is.

AFAIK all suppliers of cams just resell bullet cams, so really all you need to look at are the numbers and any spring requirements. IIRC, MHS is a little more conservative than CMS cams, but both use bullet so those are the two i can recommend. MHS offers "trade ups" (people who want a bigger/better cam, trade in their old/different cams for newer ones) so i'd start there if looking for some used cams, They probably have some good deals on a used set.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:01 AM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by zero2005
get the cams now. you'll be happier and wont have to redo anything later if you decide that you want them.

you'll love that MGW. i have one and its freakin amazing how awesome it is.

AFAIK all suppliers of cams just resell bullet cams, so really all you need to look at are the numbers and any spring requirements. IIRC, MHS is a little more conservative than CMS cams, but both use bullet so those are the two i can recommend. MHS offers "trade ups" (people who want a bigger/better cam, trade in their old/different cams for newer ones) so i'd start there if looking for some used cams, They probably have some good deals on a used set.
never thought of that ill send Nick a PM

i also found a set of used COMP XE270AH's and springs that were never installed down in CT for $350 waiting to hear back...

^^
before anyone says it i know they wont fit, ill back them off ~2-4* so i dont get PTV issues
Old 07-09-2011, 08:31 AM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

couple other things you can do to help out PTV issues is to get some valves modified by MHS, and some thicker head gaskets. the thickest i know of are cometics. those 2 things combined would help out. however, its more $$$, when you could just get some properly sized cams. not sure if backing it off would help a ton, as i'm not familiar with the cams.

also, keep in mind you need to degree the cams. and for this, i suggest if you dont already have them the TFS crank gears... they made things super easy. hardest part is finding a way to bind them together permanently. i suggest drilling and pinning them (as opposed to maybe welding them...)

cams from MHS can come pre-degreed if you wanna spend the extra tad, or a used set might already be good to go!

i'm sure you already knew this though.

edit: with MHS's parts section down, they might not be offering the modified valves seperately... IIRC they added an additional .010". which may or may not be enough...
Old 07-09-2011, 08:44 AM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

i know that stupid *** lip on the valves needs to go... get you an extra .040" clearance. i think ill just run them over to where my buddy works on night and take them off on the lathe, i miss the machine shop sometimes

ordered the TFS gears from summit, should be here today. we'll see about how to tie them together, not too crazy how my stock 2pc sprockets had like 1/4 of the rear one on the keyway...

looking up the specs for the COMPs it looks like 4* retarded should be ok, anything less will get the intake valve into the piston...

i still cant get used to this whole intake PTV issue, on pushrod motors it was all about the exhaust valve, this is just weird lol
Old 07-09-2011, 08:46 AM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

oh, and i didnt see you had plans to buy/build a stroker motor -- question is -- can/are you wiling to deal without cams until then? how much are you plannin on a stroker/cam build? what are your goals? (for now and future?)

edit: do you plan on boost? thats one of the best ways to make these motors mean as hell. they LOVE the boost. its like a drug to them. cant get enough of it once they're built properly. if your gunna spend the money on a stroker, i really suggest tossing some nasty boost at it.

Last edited by zero2005; 07-09-2011 at 09:16 AM.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:22 AM
Rokgtar
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WannaBeGearHead
Never would have thought but that purple is a good looking color. Not sure I could pull it off though lol
I like that color on that car too... and the wheels look great... But - and I may have missed it when it happened - but why did you get rid of the yellow 331? Seems to me that would have been a quick car...

Quick Reply: sn95's PI swap