4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Ongoing issues with ride, got a mass air question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 06:02 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Default Ongoing issues with ride, got a mass air question.

Does anyone know for sure as long as a MAF is the same (blow thru type) and calibrated for the same injectors, can I simply put it on my car to rule out a faulty MAF on my ride. Or does the calibration of the MAF go beyond jsut being programmed to an injector. I'm at a loss to why my car is dumpnig fuel so bad, so far I checked all piping from blower to TB, changed spark plugs, pcv valve, cleaned exsisting MAF and changed fuel pressure reg. Check ALL vacum lines. I'm running out of options, im down to MAF meter, bypass valve for supercharger, bown intake manifold gaskets, or blow cylinder(s). For some reason if you give it gas it riches right out and stalls, also when u let of the gas. Running out of ideas here. (No check engine codes)
Old 09-25-2011, 08:50 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

MAFs are not calibrated for specific injectors, but rather for specific injectors AND a specific STOCK tune--they are a kludge left over from when ECUs could not be reprogrammed--read more here.

At the risk of offending you (and PLEASE I do not mean to do so), that you asked the question you did about "calibrated MAFs" signals to me that you are in over your head. You need to take your car to a experienced and capable tuner--along with all the documentation you have for all the stuff you have attached--and let them sort it all out...
Old 09-26-2011, 04:27 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Im pretty much at a loss here, the car is going pig rich as soon as you hit the gas, enough to flood it and stall. I already talked to 3 reputable tuners and no one seems to know the problem, two were positive it was an air leak after the MAF, but I plumbed all the pluming and it is good, but I DID find some debri in the bottom of the tube just below the MAF, I'm starting to beleive that it pulled some of the debris (which included small peebles) up into the meter of the mass air flow which could of dammaged it, I'm simply trying to rule out a bad MAF, but wasn't sure if I can simply plug in another blow-thru MAF from another car with 42# injectors just to check. The unit off my car is a pro-M and it has a bunch of calibration specs engraved in the sensor cap

Last edited by uberstang1; 09-26-2011 at 04:29 AM.