4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Can anyone explain chips and tunes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 09:35 AM
Lord Ashram
2nd Gear Member

Default Can anyone explain chips and tunes?

Hey all,

Okay... my 2000 Vortech-blown, superchip using GT failed inspection back in May with a raft of "Not Supported" messages.

Finally talked to Superchips and I guess they no longer sell chips? Now they just sell tunes. But apparently their tunes don't have to pass inspection because they don't have inspection in Florida? Well, that's a big f'ing help for those of us in NJ who DO have to pass inspection.

They then said I should get in touch with SCT about a tune. I have to admit, I am confused... I don't buy a CHIP from SCT, but a TUNE, right? So what about the Superchips chip I have on there right now? Garbage? What do I do for a chip?

And WTF do I do about passing inspection? Does anyone have any NJ information about how in the hell to pass inspection?

I've put a hundred miles on the car in the last 10 months and am pissed about this... I can't drive the damn car, and there doesn't seem to be a shop anywhere near me I can call who knows about it.

Thanks for any and all info... I know this is a somewhat rambling post, but I am not even sure where to turn for help at this point or really what is wrong... I just want the damn car to pass inspection.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:42 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

I don't know about the chip you have now, but with a TUNE, you can acquire that with a handheld tuner and upload it to your car's computer via the OBDII port under the dash on the driver's side. I'm not aware of any other way to upload a TUNE to your car without a handheld tuner.

You can ask one of our sponsors like AmericanMuscle about it and see what they can do for your situation.

Can't find a mustang shop nearby for a dyno tune?
Old 10-12-2011, 09:57 AM
Lord Ashram
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, see I am just confused... I have a custom tune on a superchips chip... but apparently superchips hasn't made chips for mustangs for years... so I don't get if I can put ANOTHER tune onto that chip and pass inspection or not, because it seems like the "Not Supported" report back on my inspection is connected to the CHIP and not the TUNE...? I think? So maybe I need to get a whole different CHIP, and then get a tune added on afterwards? Or something? Or do cars not NEED a chip at all, and the tune is put someplace else? I am wicked confused

Last edited by Lord Ashram; 10-12-2011 at 10:04 AM.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:49 PM
supermario
2nd Gear Member

I think you dont need that chip, you can basically buy a SCT Tuner loaded with a custom bama tune from American Muscle. Tell them what exact mods you have on your car and they will give you custom tune for your programmer. Then you can just plug the programmer in and follow the insructions to load the tune into your car.

Im thinking that those Handheld tuners have replaced the chip method of installing a tune! Please forgive me if I am wrong, Im sure someone knowledgable will come along soon to chime in.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:35 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

"Chips" are one way of using a custom tune with the EECV (eek-5) PCM. They connect to the PCM's J3 port.

The EECV J3 port:

The port is intended as a diagnostic connection, as such it allow the PCM's onboard memory to be disabled and the address lines mapped to external memory plugged into the port--this is how the chip tuner's work. Most chip-based systems allow multiple tunes to be loaded into the external memory, and allow remote selection of the active tune.

You can return to the stock tune at any time by just unplugging the chip¹. Tunes on the chip can be modified/overwritten by using the maker's tune editor and chip "burning" system. Delta Force Tuning still offers such a system that can hold up to eight tunes.

Non-chip based flash tuners overwrite the stock tune by uploading a new tune to the PCM's internal E²PROM memory (Electrically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory). This is accomplished through the OBD2 port by placing a higher than normal voltage signal on the correct pin and setting the PCM to allow its EEPROM to be "flashed".

From a performance perspective neither system has any advantage as they both provide for complete replacement of the stock tune. The chip systems are kind of neat once you get your favourite tunes built as you can just turn a switch and change tunes.

Some Handheld tuners, and Delta Force's interface box, allow multiple tunes to be held in the unit itself and flashed to the PCM (this can take 3 to 4 minutes) and does run a remote (very) risk of corrupting the PCM should the battery be weak, or some other glitch occur.

----------------------------------
¹ - OP, unplugging the chip would be one way of passing inspection. It would return the PCM to the stock tune, just avoid any hard acceleration and hig boost while the stock tune is active.