4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

2001 DIES WHEN COASTING TO A STOP AND MODERATE TO HARD ON THE BRAKES

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 05:53 PM
Autohaulers INC
1st Gear Member

Default 2001 DIES WHEN COASTING TO A STOP AND MODERATE TO HARD ON THE BRAKES

I have an 01 GT with brand new motor and the idle is fine when sitting, even with the a/c on. The only time it dies is when im coming to a stop and im hard or moderate on the brakes? if i brake lightly it doesnt die...any ideas?? I read up on the IAC, TPS, and EGR....does my symptom point to any one of them??
it is only the long block that is new...the intake and everything else is the same as the last motor...
Old 10-17-2011, 06:50 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Does your speedometer work, this is also symptons of a bad VSS sensor.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:17 PM
Autohaulers INC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Does your speedometer work, this is also symptons of a bad VSS sensor.
yep speedo works - what does VSS stand for
Old 10-18-2011, 05:23 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

vehicle speed sensor
Old 10-18-2011, 08:41 AM
rsh0763
1st Gear Member

Mine was doing that.. I cleaned up the IAC and it resolved my issue. I want to say I cleaned the Bejesus out of it because it was BAD. Throttle Body Cleaner I think, but I had removed the stuff and made sure there wasn't a bit of anything left.

Last edited by rsh0763; 10-18-2011 at 08:43 AM.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:41 AM
Bmitchell373
2nd Gear Member

Check the throttle preset screw per Cliffys handy How to Page. And did you do the IAC mod?
Old 10-18-2011, 09:49 AM
Autohaulers INC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bmitchell373
Check the throttle preset screw per Cliffys handy How to Page. And did you do the IAC mod?
by the IAC mod did you mean clean it? can can I use brake cleaner or does it have to be throttle body cleaner...
Old 10-18-2011, 10:53 AM
Autohaulers INC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bmitchell373
just cleaned the IAC and set the idle a tiny bit higher to see if this helps. I know you are not supposed to use the set screw to increase idle but I hope 100-200 extra rpm wont make a problem...its actually more for safety becasue when I coast to a stop and the motor goes, I lose brake pressure and pwr steering..
Old 10-18-2011, 12:42 PM
rsh0763
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Autohaulers INC
just cleaned the IAC and set the idle a tiny bit higher to see if this helps. I know you are not supposed to use the set screw to increase idle but I hope 100-200 extra rpm wont make a problem...its actually more for safety becasue when I coast to a stop and the motor goes, I lose brake pressure and pwr steering..

Well? Improvement? Or back to the drawing board?
Old 10-18-2011, 12:54 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Autohaulers INC
It's not a question of "not supposed to use the set screw to increase idle" but rather that it will not change the idle speed for any but a short time. The PCM controls the idle speed to whatever is set in the tune by altering the duty cycle of the signal applied to the IAC. Adjusting the throttle stop screw only affect the idle until the PCM learns the new idle air trims--after that all adjusting it does is screw up (no pun intended) the IAC operating range. It is possible to use the stop screw to open (or close) the throttle plate to the point that that IAC can no longer control the idle at all--this or a failed IAC will cause the stalling problems you described.

The throttle stop screw needs to be adjusted as described here, otherwise the IAC will not be able to properly control the idle.

Back to your original problem it sounds as though you need a new IAC. Ford makes it clear in the shop manual that it cannot be cleaned, and those who have done so have generally found it to be temporary fix at best.

Quick Reply: 2001 DIES WHEN COASTING TO A STOP AND MODERATE TO HARD ON THE BRAKES