4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Amplifier Ground

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 09:19 AM
rumtillidie
2nd Gear Member

Default Amplifier Ground

Hi everyone

I got a 2000 mustang GT convertible...I'm trying to put in a subwoofer but for some reason the subs will play very very softly..and I put the gain to max and the deck up to max but still its playing the same way. I'm guessing it must be the grounding because I wired everything else properly. So can anyone tell me where I can get a good ground inside the trunk of the car? I have it currently on the rear tail light bolt but looks like its not good enough.

Does anyone else here have a system in there convertible too? I wanna know if its safe to use because the back window is very "fragile" lol.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:07 AM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

I used the metal seat bracket for the rear seat of my car
Old 10-27-2011, 11:56 AM
1998Slow 'Stang
3rd Gear Member

+1 on the seat bracket
Old 10-27-2011, 05:42 PM
FlamingoGT
2nd Gear Member

Are you sure you have it wired correctly?

The stock system does not have standard outs...
Old 10-27-2011, 06:00 PM
BoomTown96
2nd Gear Member

Seat bracket or body bolt. ground down to the bare metal and use dialectric greese. If the sub barely feels like its working at all, you might not even be getting power to it. I know it sounds silly but in a trunk enclosure the base from the speakers can vibrate the sub quite a bit. Lets rule out the ground being an issue and go from there.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:59 PM
65mechanic
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dwtjr3
I used the metal seat bracket for the rear seat of my car
+1 Did the same exact thing. lol
Old 10-28-2011, 07:32 AM
rumtillidie
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FlamingoGT
Are you sure you have it wired correctly?

The stock system does not have standard outs...
I replaced the stock deck with an aftermarket one. It has one pre-out for an amplifier!

Can anyone provide me a picture of where they ran there ground? I have a convertible and there is no access to the rear seat! So thats the part I'm confused on!

Last edited by rumtillidie; 10-28-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:38 AM
FlamingoGT
2nd Gear Member

Are you using stock amps, or aftermarket?

I don't think there is that much difference between an 01 and an 04... you can get to the seat brackets the same way as a coupe. But as an alternative, the seat belt bracket is right there next to the amps/top motor.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:55 AM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rumtillidie
I replaced the stock deck with an aftermarket one. It has one pre-out for an amplifier!

Can anyone provide me a picture of where they ran there ground? I have a convertible and there is no access to the rear seat! So thats the part I'm confused on!
I know on my Alpine theres a SUB volume in settings.
Are you sure the pre out is turned up.

Also like others said, Seat bracket or behind panels in trunk "where fuel shutoff is" theres plenty of body metal.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:22 AM
rumtillidie
2nd Gear Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Repzard
I know on my Alpine theres a SUB volume in settings.
Are you sure the pre out is turned up.

Also like others said, Seat bracket or behind panels in trunk "where fuel shutoff is" theres plenty of body metal.
Ya thanks guys...but I still got no idea where this seat bracket is even after u guys explained it so much!! But anyway I found a good ground behind the cloth on the drivers side. It is the bolt that is directly under the trunk strut/shock (whatever u call it).

Now the bass is playing fine....but it sounds terrible!! I'm guessing its because of the sub size (10")...in my hardtop mustang the bass would pound properly (I had 2 12"s) but in this..I'm disappointed! I'm using the same amp so I thought it would sound the same.

I bought the deck from Future Shop and they said this deck had the subwoofer control feature..so I went and bought it and when I got everything working now...it doesn't have the feature!! Now I gotta go look for another deck now cause of that person giving me the wrong information. This could partially be the problem to it sounding bad because I can't really control the bass output properly other than the built in equalizer.

Last edited by rumtillidie; 11-06-2011 at 09:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Amplifier Ground