4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Spark plug install question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 05:43 PM
jtb727
3rd Gear Member

Will stock fuel rails work with the upgraded injectors? and does anyone know for sure if BAMA can do a canned tune for 24lb injectors?

Cliffy, you say the pink ones can be found out of an 02,03,04 GT? Maybe I should check the AMP junkyard?
Old 01-07-2012, 06:07 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Stock fuel rails will be fine. And yes BAMA will be able to tune for the 24# injectors

If you have the 24# already just use those
Old 01-07-2012, 06:55 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The stock fuel rails are good to 550 to 600 fwHP, or even more.

Our cars are not weenie rice burners with deliberately hobbled components designed to achieve maximum fuel economy--that's why aftermarket CAIs are a waste of money, unlike installing one on a 2003 Honda Civic where the OEM intake was part of the fuel economy tuning package.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:40 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

****Update****
Install complete! New plugs and injectors done! Installed tune and fired it up. Didnt run right. Found one of my injectors plugs not plugged in all the way. Good deal. Took it for a spin and for a second I thought " Wow, feels a bit more powerful! Then on the steet it stopped making any power after 4000 RPM and surged under light load. Took back popped the hood. My damn tube to the throttle body had come off. Popped off when i goosed it. Took it back out...Finally a good run. It for sure feels like it has some more kick to it. Not earth shattering to be sure, but noticeable, especially at WOT. Thats my story. I think it IS worth it to do this. It seems to have more torque as well.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:21 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by stevednmc
****Update****
Install complete! New plugs and injectors done! Installed tune and fired it up. Didnt run right. Found one of my injectors plugs not plugged in all the way. Good deal. Took it for a spin and for a second I thought " Wow, feels a bit more powerful! Then on the steet it stopped making any power after 4000 RPM and surged under light load. Took back popped the hood. My damn tube to the throttle body had come off. Popped off when i goosed it. Took it back out...Finally a good run. It for sure feels like it has some more kick to it. Not earth shattering to be sure, but noticeable, especially at WOT. Thats my story. I think it IS worth it to do this. It seems to have more torque as well.
WOT, 4500 rpm and up, is where you will notice it. The PCM will have much more precise control over fueling as the injectors will no longer be operating near/at their limit. You will find yourself banging the rev-limiter more often in 1st and 2nd if just going "by ear" and waiting for the power to drop off before shifting...
Old 01-07-2012, 08:57 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

You're right about that Cliffy! Once I finally worked out the bugs it was just as you said. It "Felt" Like I got there quicker, significantly so.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:20 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Good to hear that you're happy with your choice.

I'm curious what your A/F is now and how accurate the BAMA tune is. I'm guessing it'll be pretty close though.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:28 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Well, I got my tune from brenspeed. Of course they wont tell me the numbers they set up, proprietary and all. I am certain there would be more power to gain from a dyno rather than an email tune. The email tune i know is conservative, to keep them from getting sued if something goes wrong! Have you got a tuner already? If you already had them write the tune for you I believe Bama would revise it for you for the new injectors. I think they do it free dont they? Brenspeed charged me 35 for a rewrite because i didnt buy my parts from them, but i wanted to be a little different and use brenspeed...soooo..but their customer service is pretty good.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:31 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

I have an X3 with SCT's PRP software
Old 01-07-2012, 09:37 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Oh...PRP software? That mean you can write your own tune with it? New nomenclature for me...

Edit...ok searched it. It is self tune stuff. Cliffy may be able to help you out with some raw numbers in this case to set it up for the new fuel injectors.

Last edited by stevednmc; 01-07-2012 at 09:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Spark plug install question...