Removing fuel garmet? - MustangForums.com

4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Removing fuel garmet?

Reply

 
 
 
Old 01-16-2012, 07:42 PM
  #1  
MySlowGT
1st Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Posts: 57
Default Removing fuel garmet?

Hey guys, I'm trying to remove my fuel garment and drain my fuel tank before dropping it down. Any tricks? I already ripped part of it trying to remove it, tried pulling on the filler neck to pull it out, and so far no luck. Anybody gone through the same thing?

Any help is greatly appreciated! thanks guys/girls.
MySlowGT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:21 PM
  #2  
StockD15b
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Fl
Posts: 1,392
Default

ya, its a PITA. when i did mine i didnt drop the tank all the way. You just need to loosen up the two straps,and have a jack underneath for support. I dont recall a special trick or anything. Just make sure you've got all the nuts loosened up top.
StockD15b is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:17 PM
  #3  
MySlowGT
1st Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Posts: 57
Default

Originally Posted by StockD15b View Post
ya, its a PITA. when i did mine i didnt drop the tank all the way. You just need to loosen up the two straps,and have a jack underneath for support. I dont recall a special trick or anything. Just make sure you've got all the nuts loosened up top.
After messing with it for awhile i removed the bolts completely so i could fully move the filler neck around. How far does the filler neck stick into the tank do you know? I have it so it should be able to wiggle about 3" back after i get the fuel garmet off.

Do you have to drop the tank a little bit or can you leave it mounted? I'd rather leave it mounted until i can drain the tank because it's completely full.

Did you pull on the filler neck or just get a screw driver and work it out?

Thank you for the feedback!
MySlowGT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:52 AM
  #4  
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT
 
cliffyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Saint Augustine, FL
Posts: 10,932
Default

Grommet, garments are articles of clothing--you did say "any help"...
cliffyk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:16 AM
  #5  
StockD15b
4th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Fl
Posts: 1,392
Default

Oh cliffy and his never ending knowledge. Lol. I just dropped it a couple of inches. It was about a 3 years ago I can't recall all details and ive only done it the one time. As your pulling it out, you kinda wanna feed it up wards "out" of the trunk.
StockD15b is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:12 PM
  #6  
MySlowGT
1st Gear Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Posts: 57
Default

Originally Posted by cliffyk View Post
Grommet, garments are articles of clothing--you did say "any help"...

Gracias sir! hahaha.


Originally Posted by StockD15b View Post
Oh cliffy and his never ending knowledge. Lol. I just dropped it a couple of inches. It was about a 3 years ago I can't recall all details and ive only done it the one time. As your pulling it out, you kinda wanna feed it up wards "out" of the trunk.
Right on man. I appreciate the feed back. I guess i'll lower it a few inches, and just be careful
MySlowGT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
 
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Meystang
5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang
5
09-25-2015 04:05 PM
pimp2303
5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang
3
09-17-2015 08:45 PM
SteelerNation82
V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs
1
09-16-2015 07:11 AM
rksnow1
Motor Swap Section
0
09-14-2015 08:46 PM
wawagner82
5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang
2
09-13-2015 09:02 AM

Forum Jump

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory