4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

OMFG CAR WONT LAUNCH

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 05:38 AM
Markus989
1st Gear Member

Default OMFG CAR WONT LAUNCH

So... i live in the south pugeot sound area near kent. Its pretty common place that about 100-200 cars show up for the weekly street races on the weekends down here. My car is pretty damn quick (intake, magnaflows,xpipe, 373's, short shifter)compared to most cars that show up in all honesty but..... I cannot for the love of fcking god get the car to launch. I recently went with tokico blue shocks, h&r race springs and mm caster camber plates to lower the car. I also sold my stock gt bullet wheels and bought 03 svt wheels and tires (stock 03 tires) hoping for a better hookup. However i cannot get the ****ing car to launch whatsoever. I understand the tires are 9 year old 03's but theyre 30 mm wider why no launch????!!? Are the stock 03 tires really that bad OR does lowering the car really make lower control arms in the rear a necessity? I used to make the car launch super hard on my 245's but they had new bridgestone potenzas on them. Anyway i guess i know the answer to this question but just looking for some positive reinforcement. Its serriously irritating losing to 350z's with the same amount of power or teggy's with slightly more power, ur imput is appreciated.....
Old 03-04-2012, 06:07 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

You have couple of things working against you. Those springs aren't designed for weight transfer to the rear to launch hard. 9 year old tires will just suck no matter what they are in width. Launching on the street is also not smart. It's not prepped like a good track will be and it's...well, and street.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:27 AM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LilRoush
You have couple of things working against you. Those springs aren't designed for weight transfer to the rear to launch hard. 9 year old tires will just suck no matter what they are in width. Launching on the street is also not smart. It's not prepped like a good track will be and it's...well, and street.
^^^^ This.
I too have H&R Race springs, and they are absolutely the wrong set-up for straight line weight transfer. That being said, your real issue is in the tires you are using. I had my factory stock tires at the drag strip 8 years into their life cycle. They were hard and provided very little grip.

First step is to replace those tires with some new rubber. Almost any new tire will grip better than what you have.

Beyond that, we need to know a lot more about what you use your car for before making suggestions regarding suspension mods. Exception; FLSFC are good for everything.

GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 03-04-2012, 06:42 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

At the risk of sounding like an *******...have you practiced launching at a lower rpm to solve your issue? Before I had decent tires out back I had crappy 245's and HAD to roll into the throttle to launch, but once I had it down man it was like second nature. Then I got real tires and had to relearn how to launch all over again. That said, yes the lowering springs are hurting you as previous posters stated. You will nothing but benefit from a decent set of adjustable lower control arms, and something like the upper set up from baseline suspension. It helps move the instant center of your car for better launching, but you will still have improved handling over stock. But above all, invest in some good tires first. Oh ya and for the PC crowd...Street racing is bad...lol.