4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

White Face Reverse glow gauges

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 01:52 PM
Bjiscuit

Default White Face Reverse glow gauges

Alrighty, well i ordered them and "installed" them onto my stang, and they are rather dim, nothing wha ti was expecting durring night, durring day they look great though, but i have a feeling i did a horrible job installing them as i had no clue what to do with the converter, was i supposed to mount it somewhere inside the dash? And as for the dimmer *** that was with it, same thing? No where in the installation guide does it even mention the dimmer ***, or mounting it anywhere, so my installation job was a bit of a slap together job and yes, i am very new to doing this sort of thing, So i appologize if someone thinks that i completely screwed up the way it was supposed to work.

So if anyone has a more complete set of instructions then i would greatly appreciate it, Also, when i was supposed to ground the black (negative) wire, to the same negative wire coming from the headlight control, there was no black wire on that and i had no clue which one the negative wire was so i grounded it to the metal frame as it said i could do that instead, would that affect how bright the dash is?

Completely lost as to why its so dim.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:25 PM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Might be able to help. I installed some like these a couple years ago and just yesterday helped a buddy out troubleshooting the same issues. Although, both ours were not reverse glow, they were e-glow.

The converter box - Can be installed anywhere. On mine, I zip tied it to a big cluster of wires that were already zip tied in a big bundle under drivers side dash.

The dimmer switch - Can also be mounted anywhere. Its purely up to you. Mine and buddies? Sit in your drivers seat as normal. Raise your left knee until it touches the underside of dash. This is where we installed ours. It is out of sight, but can still easily be accessed while driving.

Wiring - I don't know about yours, but ours had two wires. Red and black. Red was wired into the blue with white stripe from back of headlight switch. Ground is securely connected to any bolt that connect to frame/body of car. I was helping my buddy over phone, but I found one inside the drivers side kick panel, up near fuze box.

How bright - Well, I think its just the brightness of the reverse glow gauges. Its why I chose the e-glow. Maybe upload a pic so we can see if it looks rather unusual? Hope this helps...
Old 03-25-2012, 11:21 AM
Bjiscuit

i pretty much did the same thing with the dimmer ***, im going to tinker with it this afternoon maybe, il post pics when i can, currently battling bad flu symptoms with my wife, yay swollen sore throat =S thanks for the help
Old 03-25-2012, 12:30 PM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bjiscuit
i pretty much did the same thing with the dimmer ***, im going to tinker with it this afternoon maybe, il post pics when i can, currently battling bad flu symptoms with my wife, yay swollen sore throat =S thanks for the help
No problem. Hope you feel better soon...
Old 03-26-2012, 12:17 AM
trexflyer
1st Gear Member

I just installed mine a couple weeks ago and I love them. Are yours the ones from AM? By "not bright at all" do you mean they don't light up at all or are they just very dim? Did you turn the dimmer **** clockwise to adjust brightness? Are the gauges plugged into the converter? You might not have picked a good ground or didn't connect the power wire properly.

Like Mygt said, the converter can go anywhere, mine went behind the headlight switch in the dash. I think we used the same ground point, there's a good metal ground above the fuse box. The directions say to connect the red wire to the B1 connector on the headlight switch. This is a constant 12v lead so the gauge lights will always be on....not a big deal since they only draw a few mA. I ended up connecting mine to point H (dark red w/yellow stripe) on the HL switch so they turn on with the headlights. Just use a small jewelers screwdriver to pop the pin out and tie the wire in.

The dimmer **** I mounted in the dash right next to the rear defrost switch. My interior is black and it looks like it was meant to be there

I would double check all the wiring just to be sure. When they are on 100% they are almost too bright, but they do look great. Good luck!

Old 03-28-2012, 10:11 PM
Bjiscuit

The main issue is that they are simply very dim, i have the positive wire soldered into the the main wire on the headlight control, i think my ground is bad though and my dimme rnob is not acsessable yet, I am going to work on this friday morning, as for grounding the negative wire, is it ok to ground it to anything as long as its metal?