4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Replace cats cost

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 06:14 PM
The Green Lantern

Default Replace cats cost

So i've got a 04 Gt with a bassani x pipe with high flow cats on it. I'm getting the p0430 and p0420 codes which are the cat efficiency below threshold on both sides, i have a predator tuner so I know. I've got the inspection due at the end of this month, I'm located in denton county, tx. What are my options on what to do to pass? When i bought the car it had a screw in plug where the rear O2 sensor should be and then on the other side it had a broken off spark plug. I put new Bosch sensors in shortly after buying it and have been having the code come up since then. If I had the predator people send me a tune that shuts off those would it pass inspection or will MIL elim's work or will i just end up having to take it to a shop and have them cut out the cats and weld in new ones? Also, my engine runs hot cause i think the radiator isn't in great shape, the gauge reads like a little less than 3/4 to hot. Could the cats just be too hot?
Thanks in advance!
Old 04-13-2012, 11:47 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

In the first, this (see below) is impossible to read. As I have insomnia I read it, but most people will not, run-on clumps of text are one of the tricks used by advertisers when forced to publish disclaimers:
Originally Posted by The Green Lantern
So i've got a 04 Gt with a bassani x pipe with high flow cats on it. I'm getting the p0430 and p0420 codes which are the cat efficiency below threshold on both sides, i have a predator tuner so I know. I've got the inspection due at the end of this month, I'm located in denton county, tx. What are my options on what to do to pass? When i bought the car it had a screw in plug where the rear O2 sensor should be and then on the other side it had a broken off spark plug. I put new Bosch sensors in shortly after buying it and have been having the code come up since then. If I had the predator people send me a tune that shuts off those would it pass inspection or will MIL elim's work or will i just end up having to take it to a shop and have them cut out the cats and weld in new ones? Also, my engine runs hot cause i think the radiator isn't in great shape, the gauge reads like a little less than 3/4 to hot. Could the cats just be too hot?
Thanks in advance!
You need to use paragraphs to separate logical and related groups of statements¹:
Originally Posted by The Green Lantern
So i've got a 04 Gt with a bassani x pipe with high flow cats on it. I'm getting the p0430 and p0420 codes which are the cat efficiency below threshold on both sides, i have a predator tuner so I know. I've got the inspection due at the end of this month, I'm located in denton county, tx. What are my options on what to do to pass?

When i bought the car it had a screw in plug where the rear O2 sensor should be and then on the other side it had a broken off spark plug. I put new Bosch sensors in shortly after buying it and have been having the code come up since then.

If I had the predator people send me a tune that shuts off those would it pass inspection or will MIL elim's work or will i just end up having to take it to a shop and have them cut out the cats and weld in new ones?

Also, my engine runs hot cause i think the radiator isn't in great shape, the gauge reads like a little less than 3/4 to hot. Could the cats just be too hot?

Thanks in advance!
OK now that it is possible to read it: MIL eliminators (you can make them for $6) should trick the PCM into believing that the cats are there and working properly, and allow you to pass inspection as long as they do not "see" the MIL eliminators during a visual inspection (since you have cats).

Turning off the cat efficiency monitor (the rear sensors) in the tune will result in a failure of the catalytic converter efficiency monitor component of the I/M (Inspection/Maintenance) readiness monitor (DTC P1000). This may or may not pass depending on how your state's emission tests work.

The engine running hot because of cooling system problems would have no effect on the catalytic converters...

--------------------------------------------------------------
¹ - The only way to make it worse would be to use all caps, italic, reverse set; to make sure absolutely no one reads it:
Originally Posted by THE GREEN LANTERN

Last edited by cliffyk; 04-13-2012 at 11:50 PM.