4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Innovative products suck... Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 09:39 PM
wolverine8490
3rd Gear Member

Default Innovative products suck... Need advice

So about 2 years ago, I purchased an Innovative LC-1 wideband. For a while, it worked good. I also in the mean time referred a friend to buy one. Before I started my current project, my gauge would randomly lock up and stop reading like the controller was freezing but did not worry about it at the time as I knew I would be tearing it apart. Also the LED output I guess fried or something as the LED stopped working and even after replacing it would not work any longer.

My buddies never would and still to this day does not read correctly. The gauge never matched the data logging from the PC.

I recently purchased another mustang that also had an LC-1 installed.

To make a long story short, all three of these POS's don't work at all, or don't work correctly. Just looking to see what other types are out there as I will never buy another product from Innovative. I would like to be able to data log via PC still and have a display via gauge. I run Sniper SF and swore they sold one, but I can not find it on their website.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:28 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I have an LC-1 that has behaved well for 3 years, however if you ask around that is sort of an anomaly. I also made the mistake of buying one of their OT-1 data loggers, a complete POS that never did work correctly even after being "repaired" twice and replaced one.

Delta Force (there is no Sniper anymore because of a pissing match with Holley) still offers their wideband system:

It is a bit pricey at $400, however it does offer both AFR and RPM logging (for up to 2 hours using its internal memory), and has a 0-5V analog input that can be used to log MAF, TPS or whatever output voltage.

The control unit's memory can be dumped to a PC and displayed:

I am not wild about the digital display, preferring an analog gauge because the indicator ballistics reveal useful information not provided by a digital display.

The AEM wideband system seems to be reliable however it does not apparently allow free-air calibration, instead relying on the LSU-4's internal calibration resistor. This is OK for a new sensor however as it ages performing a periodic free-air calibration will keep it as accurate as it can be.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:54 AM
wolverine8490
3rd Gear Member

Awesome thanks cliffyk, that was exactly what I wanted to know. I feel like I have already wasted enough time and money on these things. I would have been pissed to find out the AEM does not allow the free air calibration. I am going to try to send these two LC-1's back and get them fixed. Figure if I sell both of them and the xd-16 gauge I have as well that I maybe able to afford this.

I heard that Sniper had to change their name but I didn't know it was an issue with Holley. Good times...
Old 05-11-2012, 12:31 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Holley had apparently registered "Sniper" as a trade name, and decided to enforce same--that's why http://www.snipertuning.com gets you to a Holley page...
Old 05-11-2012, 06:00 PM
Romer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wolverine8490
So about 2 years ago, I purchased an Innovative LC-1 wideband. For a while, it worked good. I also in the mean time referred a friend to buy one. Before I started my current project, my gauge would randomly lock up and stop reading like the controller was freezing but did not worry about it at the time as I knew I would be tearing it apart. Also the LED output I guess fried or something as the LED stopped working and even after replacing it would not work any longer.

My buddies never would and still to this day does not read correctly. The gauge never matched the data logging from the PC.

I recently purchased another mustang that also had an LC-1 installed.

To make a long story short, all three of these POS's don't work at all, or don't work correctly. Just looking to see what other types are out there as I will never buy another product from Innovative. I would like to be able to data log via PC still and have a display via gauge. I run Sniper SF and swore they sold one, but I can not find it on their website.
I used to have an LC-1 and it was flaky at best. One day I decided to firmware update it. Bad idea - very bad idea. It never breathed again.
Now I have a PLX device and have had absolutely no issues with it. It just plain works and doesn't need to open air calibrated.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:06 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I was at one time very active on Innovate's forum, the LC-1 version 1.10 firmware was crap with many people "bricking" the unit while uploading it. Those that did get it loaded went back to the version 1.00a firmware. I still have the 1.00a firmware is anyone needs it.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:43 PM
wolverine8490
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
I was at one time very active on Innovate's forum, the LC-1 version 1.10 firmware was crap with many people "bricking" the unit while uploading it. Those that did get it loaded went back to the version 1.00a firmware. I still have the 1.00a firmware is anyone needs it.
Can you shoot me a link to download 1.00a. I would like to try that before I make any more purchases.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:13 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Deleted...

Last edited by cliffyk; 05-11-2012 at 08:43 PM.