4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Keeping T/C off

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 03:55 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by wayne613
Let me just clarify here, I was under the impression, possibly mistaken, that the newedge and S197(at least earlier 05-09s anyhow) used a round robin approach, but that a step involved cut fuel in such a way as it could still cause catastrophic detonation should you be FI. From what I interpret you're saying, this is not the case?
That is correct, in fact the '03 and '04 Cobra (both f/i) PCMs use exactly the same 2002 torque limiting routine as that shown above. To repeat, why would Ford do that if it would damage the engine?

How can NO fuel cause detonation? What it does do is unevenly cool the exhaust valves, and possibly damage the cats, the "round robin" routine is specifically incorporated to deal with that as stated in the code snippet.

The specifics as to how it was doing so was not previously researched by myself, so that's good to know. But you're talking(well, writing anyhow) to a programmer, general IT guy, and former electrical engineering student. I've only tried starting to be a gear head in the past few years, so many of the finite ins and outs put me in the "special" section here still.. Hence my scouring of different sections, and even forums, although this one is of course home.
I have an MSME (MIT '71) and have been working with--designing/building/programming--mini and micro computers since the late-60s so you and I definitely have a lot in common.

Implementing a 2-step limiter in the tune, by intelligent disabling of injectors, produces less smooth engine operation during the limiting action; this is and the "wive's tale" about cutting fueling are the basis for the objections raised by the "MSD/ignition cut-off" crowd. However the downsides of not cutting fuel delivery while cutting ignition make that less smooth limiting action a viable trade-off.

You can hold a fuel cut-off engine at the limit indefinitely, you would not want to do that with an ignition system cut-off system; MSD specifically warns against it in their literature.

Are you familiar with C? PM me...
Old 05-29-2012, 08:09 PM
Boris91
2nd Gear Member

I believe on some cars that TC also brakes the drive wheels. Well...my last car had stability control so maybe that's why it would brake the rear wheels if they slipped.