4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Tremec TR 3650 noise in 3rd and 4th gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 09:28 AM
sixthstang

Default Tremec TR 3650 noise in 3rd and 4th gear

Hello everyone. I recently purchased a 2003 GT with 71K, and heard nothing on the test drive. Now, it has a strange noise in 3rd and 4th gear.

I did a search on here, and seen somewhere that someone had posted something that sounded just like my problem, but there were no responses to it. The poster said a friend compared the noise to uncooked rice being poured into a metal pan, which is a prett good description. To me, it sounds like, if you can imagine two metal or aluminum plates with small gravel between them, spinning in opposite directions and grinding the gravel up. It at first sounded like a very loud idler or alternator pully with the bearings shot, but it is coming from the transmission, as I can feel it in the shifter- which I believe to be the stock shifter.

It makes the noise regardless of if the clutch is engaged or pushed to the floor, and the noise is alost nonexistant with the RPM's rediculously low, like 1K to 1200 RPM. If I speed up, and put it in 5th gear, the noise goes away.

Also, it seems to run great, and the noise does not affect runability, but something is not right.

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance for any info or suggestions.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:48 AM
sixthstang

Well, not sure what is going on, but I drove the Mustang to pick my son up from baseball practice, and although I never got up over 30 MPH, it did not make the noise at all. I took the long way home, on a more major road, had it up to 50 or so, and still no noise. I can't imagine what what is going on, and can't figure out what the difference would be. It was about 10 degrees warmer than it was the day before, but it was still in my garage overnight, so you wouldn't think that could possibly contribute to it. I will still keep my fingers crossed! LOL
Old 03-06-2013, 09:02 AM
jamsunami

Just a thought, have you changed the transmission fluid? If the car is new to you, this would be a good idea, and pretty straight forward, with a drain plug and by filling new fluid through the shifter. If you go this route, a) take a look at the old fluid that drains out, check for any metal grindings that would indicate a problem, and b) put the correct volume of fluid in...I believe there is a TSB correcting the recommended fill level from 3.8 to 3.2 qts. Should be other threads on this forum related to exactly how much and what kind of trans fluid to use.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:16 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

just use 3qt of ATF.... you need to change the fluid and tell us what it looks like... sounds like there is a bearing issue.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:21 AM
sixthstang

No, I have not yet changed the fluid, but do plan to soon. It is somewhat tempermental going from 1-2 and 2-3...not real bad, but bad enough that I plan to change the fluid. I have to take it to the dealership today to have a couple places on the paint touched up, then I can pick it up tomorrow. If I can get my other car down off the jackstands, I plan to change the fluid this weekend. I just hope the noise stays away. I also plan to look at the transmission mount, cable, etc., when I have it up on the jackstands, as I am baffled at the noise.

Thank you for the response! I did a lot of reading here yesterday, and plan to go with the Mobil 1 fluid. Even if it doesn't help the hard shifts, at 71K miles, it is still due.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:30 AM
sixthstang

Dimebag...SHHHhhhhh! Don't be saying that! lol You're gonna jinx me. No, i'll post my finding, but I am still hoping everything is cool.