4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

? Looking to convert a turbo into a vortec supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 07:03 PM
kingyboy

Default ? Looking to convert a turbo into a vortec supercharger?

I have a brand new turbo thats .50 trim and I was looking to convert it into a vortec... I paid a lot of money for it to put on a project I no longer have and cant find any one to buy it... has or does anyone know of a kit for this?

Posted from MustangForums.com App for Android
Old 03-24-2013, 07:44 PM
Fillerdust
2nd Gear Member

Wow, are you speaking English? Wow....
Old 03-24-2013, 07:49 PM
My1stGT
2nd Gear Member

in on 1
Old 03-24-2013, 10:56 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

You cant turn a turbo into a supercharger, thats physically impossible
Old 03-25-2013, 06:25 AM
kingyboy

im sorry i am a mechanical engineer and just assumed because the vortec or centrifugal type were made from the cleansides of turbochargers. so there is no kit to split the shaft for the clean side and add the gear box and pully assembly to turn it into a cetrifugal type supercharger like the vortec that uses the clean side of a turbo. I was just looking to see if any perhaps made a kit for the split shaft and gear box or if I would have to make one I have a schematic for the centrifugal supercharger and there is no difference between the impellers on the cleanside besides the length in the pto. and the gear box.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:47 AM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

why not just run the turbo? it is more efficient and will give you better power
Old 03-25-2013, 07:01 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Us this thread for real? Prochargers and vortechs are not made from turbo housings, they are totally different. No matter what size turbo u have the shade and guts of the supercharger would never fit in, these are precise peices of equipment.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:44 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

I thought this was a joke so I had to Google it and it appears it gets asked alot on the Import & Drifting forums
Google it and you will get all your answers
Old 03-25-2013, 12:25 PM
kingyboy

I was looking at turboing it... problem is the project I had before was an 1987 porsche 944 na. when I got it and eventually became a ls1 twin turbo. I order the turbos and they sent me the wrong ones 4 times the last time I sold one and just went to summit and bought a cheaper set that were the correct size... now im still stuck with one and cant get rid of it... I need a .73 trim for the 4.6l or another one of the ones ive got but I am not wanting to order another for that price. and I was want to keep the bay free of clutter ie. I didnt want intercooler piping in there... and yes I agree they are precise peices. but they are very simular in design minus turbos usuall use v-clamps as apposed to bolt up center cases and pto shaft lengths. while they use the same materials and concepts of each other. I assumed it was possible to order a kit to convert the cleanside. with a shorter shaft high speed and temp bearings, gear box and pulley... and I have looked on google about this due to the porsche was set up for drift... and seeing all the talk made me wonder if a kit was available... thank you all for your input I appreciate it... and sorry if I made any feel they wasted timed.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:58 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

You can not make a vortech or procharger out of a turbocharger housings, it is IMPOSSIBLE. Now you can use your hotside of the turbo and make somekind of makeshift gearbox or somekind of pulley on it, is it possible in theory...sure. Is it practical...no. Will it work, probably not.... if it does will it stay together......no. Would it be hard to make a bracket to mount it and keep a belt on it, yes......... see where this is going?

Last edited by uberstang1; 03-25-2013 at 02:03 PM.

Quick Reply: ? Looking to convert a turbo into a vortec supercharger?