4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Crankshaft keyway broken

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 12:50 PM
zmadden

Default Crankshaft keyway broken

Hi all.

I have a 2002 Mustang Gt. I was recently driving when I lost power steering. I pulled over and popped the hood to see mu car was running but the belt was not moving. I turned off my AC and that seemed to fix the problem. Later that day I heard a wobbling sound. I popped the hood again and saw my harmonic balancer was wobbling on the end of my crankshaft. I shut the car off and tightened the bolt. It was fine for a couple days. Then i was driving and lost power steering again, as I was pulling over I lost the bolt out of the end of my crankshaft and the harmonic balancer fell off the front on the crank. The key snapped off balancer and was left in the crank. I bought a new harmonic balancer and key but when i put it on i got the same wobble as when the old one was on it.

My question is do I really have to put a new crankshaft in the motor if just then end of if is somehow messed up?

If there any other way to fix this issue?

Thanks for any help or ideas

2002 Mustang GT
Old 06-11-2013, 01:38 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Are u tightening to bolt to the proper spec? Are the threads for the bolt in the crankshaft stripped out? It shouldn't back out unless its under tightened. The stock bolt is also torque to yield, once its tigtened down it is NOT reusable, make sure u get a new bolt, this can really jack up your motor if that bolt comes out because when its tightened down it puts the crank trigger in the right spot behind the timing cover.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:48 PM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

I'm confused, they key came off the harmonic balancer? As in the balancer split at the rubber? Or the keyway came out of the crankshaft? The key (the raised portion on the end of the crank) is removeable. The keyway on the balancer is just a slot that is machined into the balancer.

If that bolt has been torn out of there a few times now you may have ruined the threads inside the crank, which is repairable but probably won't be fun.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:43 PM
DJINN n TONIC

Technically speaking,The bolt Doesnt hold the balancer on. the balancer is a "Press-Fit" onto the crank "Snout". the bolt is there to ensure it doesnt shake free.

Now, If the key is broken, it means that the balancer "Spun". ANY Imperfection to the crank that interferes with The "Press Fit" of the balancer makes the crankshaft unuseable.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:02 AM
zmadden

Yes sorry, The keyway is not broken. The harmonic balancer spun on the end of the crank shaft before falling off. I have a new one with key. The first time I re-tightened it it was to to the torque specs set by ford (70 to 90ftlbs). With the car in gear and E brake on. Basically the end of the crank shaft is F'd is there anyway to fix just the end of the crank shaft? I know I can use a die kit to re-thread the inside but its the outside that seems to be messed up. Id really like to not tear down the motor to replace it.

2002 Mustang GT
18" SVE Drift wheels
Koni Suspension
Trick Flow Throttle body w/ roush spacer
BBK intake, bassani X-pipe, flowmaster dual
Old 06-12-2013, 11:31 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Got and pica of the crank end? im assuming the bolt backed out then te keyway backed out if so the cranks prob damaged, if the trigger behind the timig cover came loose its game over.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:37 PM
zmadden

Don't have any at this time but i'm guessing it did. Thanks for the help everyone. My plan now is to to a full motor swap and sell the car.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:10 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Got and pica of the crank end? im assuming the bolt backed out then te keyway backed out if so the cranks prob damaged, if the trigger behind the timig cover came loose its game over.
+1, pics would tell us a lot...