4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

NEED HELP!!!! Losing antifreeze through heater core weep hole even after bypassing

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 04:09 PM
dsimons2010

Default NEED HELP!!!! Losing antifreeze through heater core weep hole even after bypassing

I need help!!! My 2003 GT continues to lose coolant an a very fast rate. I saw antifreeze leaking out the weep hole on the passenger side firewall, so I went and bypassed the heater core using a coupler and running the inlet and outlet heater core hoses together.I then ran the car for hours and it continues to leak out of the weep hole at a very fast rate. I thought that maybe it was just left over coolant in the heater core leaking out, BUT when I check the coolant level on the radiator it is still going down I am positive I used the correct heater core hoses for the bypass. They are both on the passenger side firewall about a foot above the weep hole. One is larger than the other. I used a 5/8" coupler and forced the smaller hose on. Sound right? How long should coolant continue leaking out of the weep hole after bypassing the heater core? I seriously ran it for over an hour and it conitues to flow out of the weep hole...

I am wondering if perhaps I am losing coolant out the exhaust because of a blown head gasket or something. I say this because I do not see coolant leaking out anywhere else besides the weep hole. Is there an easy way to check for a blown head gasket? There is no antifreeze in the oil and no white smoke out of the exhaust and the car runs fine. I do not have a compression tester.

At this point I am about to put some stop leak in the radiator....

Please help. I can't drive for more than a mile or two before losing a lot of coolant........

THANKS!!!!

Last edited by dsimons2010; 07-27-2013 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:56 PM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

#1 I'm not sure what an heater core weep hole is but I am positive such a thing does not exist. Any variety of hole in the cooling system will cause a lack of pressurization and in turn allow the coolant to boil which defeats the whole idea.

#2 How did you run the bypass? I'm assuming on the engine side of things which would give you two open coolant pipes coming out of the firewall and one U shaped hose on the engine side.

#3 Get a cooling system pressure tester so that you can pressurize the system to find the leak. Just fill it with water until you isolate the problem so you don't keep wasting coolant. If you bypassed the heater core properly and are still leaking coolant than that wasn't the problem. Most common coolant leak on a mod motor is the coolant crossover on the intake where the metal meets the plastic.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:53 PM
DJINN n TONIC

Best Guess is the A/C condensation drain on the firewall. If you bypassed the core, (Both hoses off of the heater core, and joined together) there is absolutely NO WAY that coolant can leak from the firewall......either wait for the residual to stop dripping, recheck your "Bypass" connections, or look closer....pressurized coolant can spray out, against gravity, and drip wherever it wants.