4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Blinking SES Light 20 seconds

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 11:40 PM
02Blackstallion

Unhappy Blinking SES Light 20 seconds

Apologies if this is posted but after hours of scrounging forums here and other places I've yet to find anything about my make and model, I have a 4.6 liter 02 mustang gt. For a while now I've had rough acceleration from 1st gear, no matter how little or lot of gas I give it shutters and it feels as if its going to die, but doesn't, It literally shakes violently. More so after getting to normal temp.

Another problem is when giving it some gas it shakes as if the oomf isn't there like it once was. (usually more noticeable when I give it a good amount of gas.) Missing a lot of power.

Idle with a/c on or off RPM drops down to near stall but picks up and maintains. Just recently it shakes while idling.

Just today on my way to work, I accelerated a bit to see if I could clear whatever was in there making act up like it is and I see my SES light blinking for about 20 seconds. Not knowing what it was but figuring it was serious I continued to work extra careful. Been googling for a while now and a number of things have popped up that have me concerned.

Blinking SES means Fix me now! Cat damage imminent. I have no choice but to drive her home. Bout 20-30 miles from work. I've read coil packs but have yet to find any diagrams on how or where they are on my make and model. And no specifics on wires or anything, they look to go behind the engine.

The SES doesn't stay on, and I've read that autozone or advanced auto parts may not even be able to pull the codes. Then again I'm told that the computer in the car may hold them for pulling later. The SES blinked, then shut off, A/C got hot through the duration, and there was hardly any power at all. Light shut off and power was back a/c blew cold.

Short on cash, Job has me working from 4pm to about 5-7am, Really worried, and not being able to find any answers through google really troubles me.

If anyone can help or give any insight it would be greatly appreciated. I have recently switched out spark plugs 1, 2, 3, and 4. IAC is brand new as well as the ERG, When the IAC was replaced (around 2-3 months ago) I had vacuum leaks but they were fixed. Had the car about 1 year, 1 Previous owner, Not sure the fuel filter has ever been replaced. and the Clutch shot while driving home one day so I'm sure that previous owner hot rodded her.

Not expecting an answer tonight and will update as I progress things, I'm just hoping my car doesn't explode or break beyond repair... I still owe money on it and its my only vehicle with a child on the way >.<
Old 09-19-2013, 12:42 AM
02Blackstallion

Also forgot to mention that A day or so before it started, it was raining extremely hard and flooded quite a bit, I ended up having to drive through it, Trucks next to me on the highway were splashing water all over my car to the point where I couldn't see with the wipers on full blast. I know the engine got pretty wet because my belt started to squeak when I would accelerate quite a bit. Thought I would throw that in there, It was Idling rough before, and some of the other problems were there its just more persistent now, Like the rough take off out of first, acceleration power not all there, and shaky Idle.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:03 PM
02Blackstallion

Ok well, Here is the fix considering nobody has had this problem before, or had insight. Was able to get to autozone before my car catching fire. Misfire was found in cylinder 5, I replaced the ignition coil for that area, replaced the boots from the remaining on the passenger side, 6, 7, and 8. Replaced the belt also. The car seems to be running much better, no more drag or power loss, took the spark plug out of 5 and it was dripping with what looked like oil. I stuck a paper towel down there and dried up what little there was in there, and now the car ran like she used to. Got all my power back, and no more check engine light blinking. I hope this helps someone.