4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Need more help than most..

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 08:38 AM
Mcswisher

Default Need more help than most..

Alright so to start things off I'm new to the car scene.. I finally bought my first car last night at 17 and it's a 2003 mustang gt. Me and my dad always had plans to get a 99-04 mustang gt (my favorite body style) and build it up. Unfortunately my dad passed away last year before we got to do our father son project so I am wanting to follow through with it in his honor. This is where I run into a problem, my dad was he mechanic in the family and unfortunately he passed before I learned to much from him. I have more tools than any 17 year old should own (most were his) and I don't know where to start. I got the engine out with help from my uncle and was hoping for suggestions on how to get around 500 hp safely, holding off on a supercharger as long as I can it's going to be my daily driver and most of the work will be done by me I have no idea what to do or how most of it works so I'll need more explanation than most would.
so yea any help is appreciated.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:43 PM
Sandmanbjj
2nd Gear Member

Wow. Sorry to hear about your father.
Man, you have taken on a big project. I can offer the limited knowledge I have to get you started. You have the motor out, and 500 HP is a large amount for a 2v engine NA If that can even be reached.
In my.opinion you will want to break it down to the block, clean it up, make sure there are no cracks or imperfections. Make sure the cylinders are true, replace the freeze plugs etc. Make sure you are starting with a solid foundation.
In all reality it may be easier to do an engine swap with maybe a 4v or newer coyote engine.
There are lots of guys here that know WAY more and may steer you in a better direction.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:32 PM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

Sorry to hear about your dad. This seems like a big project to take on with limited knowledge. 500hp is a big number to hit on the 4.6L without going f/i (forced induction) and will be extremely costly compared to just throwing a turbo/supercharger on. You're going to have to build the motor up pretty significantly to reach 500hp n/a (naturally aspirated.) If cost isn't a problem, then it is definitely possible.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:32 PM
unitedwestang
2nd Gear Member

Yes, you could very well spend more money trying to reach 500hp N/A with the 4.6L as opposed to putting a supercharger on it. Being 17, I'm assuming cost is a significant factor.
That being said, the 500hp mark you have set, doesn't fair well with cost. Reason I say that is because the "safe number" for the stock internals is about 400hp. So by setting your mark at 500hp, that would require you to forge the motor, which adds up quick. Again, even 400hp can be very difficult to hit N/A. For that power level, it would be easier, simpler, and more cost effective to go f/i.

That being the lowly opinion of basic bolt on owner lol, but I'm just sharing what I have learned in my time here as I too have an engine build in my future.

Please accept our sincerest condolences for your father.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:31 AM
2004GTconvertable

I was 17 once, about 55 years ago. Very sorry to hear about your Dad. 500 HP is VERY expensive proposition for this car. As others have said 400HP is about the safe limit for the 4.6 engine. There are other things to consider also. Suspension, rear gears, frame stiffeners, transmission, clutch if it is manual transmission. What I suggest is to build the engine with some mild cams, larger plenum and throttle body, headers and a good exhaust system, a dyno tune, some great looking wheels and perhaps a nice paint job, weld in frame stiffeners and some suspension updates. This would give you a very good performing and looking car that you could drive daily for a long time. This will still be an expensive route to take but you will have fewer major problems in the future. Best of luck and keep us updated on your progress.