4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Long tube header install write up???

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 11:23 AM
bearster18
2nd Gear Member

Default Long tube header install write up???

anyone have a write up i can use to install a set of long tube headers?
Old 11-12-2005, 12:23 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Long tube header install write up???

Well I can tell you how to take out your old exhaust manifolds, I did it last night. You have to unbolt your h-pipe and take it out. Then take out your starter, also remember to disconnect the negative cable from the battery. then you have to unbolt the nut holding the engine mount onto the k-member on either side. But a hydralic jack with a peice of wood under the front of the engine block, before the harmonic balancer. You can also do it on the oil pan, that I have been told, but the way I did it is much safer, I think.... Then lift up the motor as much as you can. Also remember to disconnect the intake tube from the throttle body, as it might rip out as you lift it up. I only lifted it about an inch, the bolts from the motor mounts weren't even out of the k-member holes. Then just squeeze your hand in from either the bottom behind the k-member, or underneath in front of the k-member or ontop between the heads and the strut tower. Anyway you heave best access to the 8 nuts. Its very tight and you will be doing this mostly by feel. Once you get teh nuts free then you can slide the exhaust manifold out. I used a 1/4" socke wrench with a 13mm deep socket for the nuts. Then you have to take the struds out of the heads. You use a 5mm socket for that. Then repeat on the other side.

This is from what I read on the install of longtubes. You must pull out the dipstick out of the block, well it really depends on the maker of the headers. If the flange where the headers bolt to the heads is one peice then you must pull out the dipstick. If the headers have a seperate flange for each tube then you may not have too... Then you must disconnect the steering shaft from the rack and pinion. Mark on it so you install it the same way, so your steering remains straight. Then put in the longtubes and use the supplied new gaskets and hardware for the install. Then install the starter when either the headers are loose or when there fully torqued up... Im not sure which... But the torque everything down on the headers reinstall the dipstick, and steering shaft. Lower the engine, bolt it back up, torque it. Then connect the new shorter midpipe. And the 02 sensors. And also the 02 sensor extensions. And I think you will be good to go.

Also if you have old issues of "MUscle Mustangs and Fast Fords" check out the September 2002 issue. On page 170 they give you an article on installing BBK lontubes on a 99-04 mustang gt. Thats got the rest of the info from.