4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Mods that Void warranty...

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 08:41 PM
skinsr4reel

Default Mods that Void warranty...

Well Im gonna be getting a Mustang GT (03/04) within a week, but most of them have warranties still on them....

I keep hearing the dealer say that it VOIDS the warranty when you put anything other than the OEM parts on it...

I really do not want to void the warranty.

Also, does CAI do this as well?
Old 11-25-2005, 08:45 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Mods that Void warranty...

If a non OEM part causes a part on the car to fail, then they will not cover the part under warranty. For instance, If you have a full exhaust on your car and your trans goes, the warranty will cover it. ETC.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:40 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Yea exactly.

The only parts that are not supported by the warranty are the actual aftermarket parts. But no one has aftermarket parts put on by ford dealers anyway, they may not even do those kinds of things. So if one of your parts fails, you wouldn't be going to ford for them to fix it anyway. But as stated above, if you have aftermarket parts on your car, and a different part of the car fails, ford is still required by law to fix it. They are just not liable for the aftermarket parts.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:40 AM
Dsmfighter
3rd Gear Member

warranties were ment to be broken....lol
Old 11-26-2005, 02:03 AM
skinsr4reel

lol yea, well my point was being, since im buying one relativly new (15k and under miles wise), I didnt know if I should make the warranty a big deal or not...

Because Im taking a loan from the bank, and im allowed to take 20% over book value in my loan, ya know so I can get some CAI and Exhaust...But I just wanted to make sure I wasnt voiding the warranty as well, because part of what the car is worth has to do with the warranty.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:46 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

It all depends on the dealer.Some will try to void a warranty if they see a high flow air filter but others will work with you to keep you a future customer.It sounds like the one you have is one of the former so be carefull what you do.The law says that Ford must prove that the parts in question caused the failure to be able to deny the warranty.For instance,if you install a shifter and the tranny starts to grind,the shifter will be blamed.Now we all know that a properly adjusted shifter won't cause the tranny to grind but Ford says otherwise.You might get Ford to rebuild the tranny but it will take time and lots of aggravation.Remember,the service manager has a car to drive and it's doutfull that he'll worry about you after he goes home for the evening.The best way to approach this is to figure that anything you add will kill the warranty on the parts that are connected to the new parts.Sorry to be so negative but this subject comes up all the time with mixed results.One other thing,about that 20% over loan,that's not very good economics.This leads to negative equity and if anything happens to the car that causes it to be totaled you still owe money on a car that is now sitting in a junkyard.A guy I work with had this happen to him and he ended up paying more per month for his truck than I do for my house.(It was a nice truck though)
Old 11-26-2005, 02:48 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: Dsmfighter

warranties were ment to be broken....lol
best post regarding warranty questions EVER!
Old 11-26-2005, 04:14 PM
sandcracker21
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Chopper
One other thing,about that 20% over loan,that's not very good economics.This leads to negative equity and if anything happens to the car that causes it to be totaled you still owe money on a car that is now sitting in a junkyard.
if hes buying the car from a dealership, then they will offer him gap insurence, and this will take car of that problem
Old 11-26-2005, 07:20 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sandcracker21

ORIGINAL: Chopper
One other thing,about that 20% over loan,that's not very good economics.This leads to negative equity and if anything happens to the car that causes it to be totaled you still owe money on a car that is now sitting in a junkyard.
if hes buying the car from a dealership, then they will offer him gap insurence, and this will take car of that problem
And that's free of charge???
Old 11-27-2005, 01:59 PM
sandcracker21
4th Gear Member

definatly not.....but its worth it, and depending on ur loan it will only be 3-4 hundred bucks

if you pay off the car before the loan is done, then you get the money back