4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Keep Your Cool

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 05:10 PM
blackbetty01
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Keep Your Cool

5 dollars for 4hp= best gain for the money I have ever heard of, hell even 4hp for 18 is pretty good. K&N brags about 15HP for $60, that is close to the same ratio (4to1) and I think K&N exaggerates.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:25 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: Matts00GT

ORIGINAL: M1ke

could someone please shed more light on this topic please? i dont understand how this works? a lower degree thermostat magically make more HP??
Cooler air= more power. I cuold be wayyyy off here but I think I've heard this-- The temperature on the thermostat is like a safety switch. When your motor or something to do with it hits that degree it turns on you fans behind your radiator. Thus making the air coming into the engine cooler. If you have a160 degree tstat then they switch on at 160. If you have a 195 then it comes on at 195. Basically it keeps the air cooler in your car. I think that's pretty close. Maybe I'm shooting in the dark here.
wwwhoooaaa....okay, a little bit of tech teaching here. The t-stat does NOT turn on your fans, it's mearly a mechanical means to control the temperature of the coolant/engine. Think of it as a dam. When the temp of the coolant reaches whatever the rating of the t-stat is, the material inside of the t-stat expands and opens the gate on it.

You're thinking of a radiator fan switch. This is usually mounted in either the t-stat housing or intake manifold and is electrical. The temperature setting for this little device to kick on is somewhere between 190-200F. When that senses the temp above the limit, it kicks on the fans.

Radiator is intended to cool the coolant, and the fan is intended to draw air through the raidator to cool the coolant..not the engine. A slightly cooler engine (running 180 vs 190f t-stat) will run a little richer and give you a couple of extra HP. Too cold though will not allow the engines emissions components to work properly and you will always run rich potentially damageing the O2 sensors and/or Cats. Run 160 at your own risk. 180 should be fine for most cars unless you live in cold climates.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:03 PM
Matts00GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Derf00

could someone please shed more light on this topic please? i dont understand how this works? a lower degree thermostat magically make more HP??
Cooler air= more power. I cuold be wayyyy off here but I think I've heard this-- The temperature on the thermostat is like a safety switch. When your motor or something to do with it hits that degree it turns on you fans behind your radiator. Thus making the air coming into the engine cooler. If you have a160 degree tstat then they switch on at 160. If you have a 195 then it comes on at 195. Basically it keeps the air cooler in your car. I think that's pretty close. Maybe I'm shooting in the dark here.
wwwhoooaaa....okay, a little bit of tech teaching here. The t-stat does NOT turn on your fans, it's mearly a mechanical means to control the temperature of the coolant/engine. Think of it as a dam. When the temp of the coolant reaches whatever the rating of the t-stat is, the material inside of the t-stat expands and opens the gate on it.

You're thinking of a radiator fan switch. This is usually mounted in either the t-stat housing or intake manifold and is electrical. The temperature setting for this little device to kick on is somewhere between 190-200F. When that senses the temp above the limit, it kicks on the fans.

Radiator is intended to cool the coolant, and the fan is intended to draw air through the raidator to cool the coolant..not the engine. A slightly cooler engine (running 180 vs 190f t-stat) will run a little richer and give you a couple of extra HP. Too cold though will not allow the engines emissions components to work properly and you will always run rich potentially damageing the O2 sensors and/or Cats. Run 160 at your own risk. 180 should be fine for most cars unless you live in cold climates.
Thanks for explaining it. I must have been thinking about the radiator fan switch then.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:07 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: Derf00

Thanks for explaining it. I must have been thinking about the radiator fan switch then.
They DO make radiator fan switches that are made to turn the fans on sooner (lower temp) too. I see those a lot for conversions from Clutch fans to electric fans on old Chevy's and Fords. Don't know if they have em for the newer cars. Again though, you can run the engine too cold.