4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Help answer my Newbie Questions..

Old 12-09-2005, 07:11 AM
kpaver

Default RE: Help answer my Newbie Questions..

ORIGINAL: Osk

thanks for the info, guys.

i'll definitely be hitting up an autoparts soon then.

as for resetting the tripometer, i have no idea how to do this.. actually i'm a little confused.. on my car, it tells me how many miles (total) the car has.. is that what you're talking about? blah..

as for the extended warranty.. i know the brakes are going to need to be replaced within a year most likely.. and who knows about the other stuff.. so i'm definitely considering it.. the warranty said 3 years/ 20k miles.. i'm not sure if it's 20k a year (good).. or total (bad). we'll see..

warranties usually dont cover things such as break pads, or any other wearables, and the 3 years/20K miles is whatever comes first, so if you hit 20K before 3 years then its over.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:51 PM
Osk
2nd Gear Member

grrrrrrrrrrrrr..

the brakes are making a squeaky sound whenever i press on them.. especially if i press on the hard..

i didn't notice it, until i parked and my g/f (was outside) said she heard something.. now it's really bugging me. how much should i be expecting to pay to get new brakes? (including labor)

i'm going to call the extended warranty place.. and ask if they cover brakes.. i think they do.. but who knows. blah
Old 12-09-2005, 05:52 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

grrrrrrrrrrrrr..

the brakes are making a squeaky sound whenever i press on them.. especially if i press on the hard..

i didn't notice it, until i parked and my g/f (was outside) said she heard something.. now it's really bugging me. how much should i be expecting to pay to get new brakes? (including labor)

i'm going to call the extended warranty place.. and ask if they cover brakes.. i think they do.. but who knows. blah

nah, they won't cover friction items like brake pads and rotors.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:51 PM
Matts00GT
4th Gear Member

I'm guessing it's your front brake pads. If that's ALL that's messed up then you shouldnt be too bad. Depending on what brand you get it could be anywhere from 20-60 bucks for replacement pads. I hear it's easy to change the pads so you can probably do it yourself and save on the labor.

grrrrrrrrrrrrr..

Old 12-09-2005, 11:43 PM
Osk
2nd Gear Member

so during my lunch break, i passed by this place and they quoted me for around $270... he said for all four breaks rotors whatever..

my boss told me i should look into getting aftermarket brakes, that they are a lot better..

1.) what's the consensus on aftermarket brakes? are they worth the price difference?

and 2.) is $270 a good price? i know it's hard to tell with the limited info.. but still.. blah.. i having such a low car IQ. but i'm trying to learn..

on that note, is there any websites or any resources you guys can recommend to learn everything there is to know about cars (i.e. all the parts and how they work). thanks
Old 12-09-2005, 11:53 PM
kpaver

if you can do the work yourself you will be so much better off, and about a fourth of that price. you probably dont need to replace the rotors unless you can feel pulses in the brake pedal when you are breaking, which means that they are warped. if breaking is still smooth and its just making noise, then just buy some new pads and put those on. auto places really rip you off when it comes to breaks, and there going to tell you that everything needs to be replaced when it really doesnt just to make money. if i were you i would just put some new pads on and see if that helps.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:20 AM
Osk
2nd Gear Member

that's really good advice! i might just put new pads in.. they're like $40, right?

he told me that my something-or-another (rotors possibly?) were curved.. and he showed me, and it seemed kind of curved.. it's the big disks that you can see behind your wheel. i don't know if that's rotors or disc brakes or whatever..

anyways, i'll probably take it to a few places and see what's up.. hope i don't get ripped off or waste too much money.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:39 AM
Osk
2nd Gear Member

Hey Mike Hawke,

i just noticed your edits.

i know that autogeek sponsors you guys, but at the same time, we shouldn't discourage honesty. nobody said "don't buy from autogeek".. they just stated what THEY did.

i've already checked out autogeek, read some of their articles (good articles, btw), and am probably going to get a few items from them. but i'm not rich.. actually, pretty poor.. so i wanted to get honest answers on a subject i'm not too familiar with.

anyway, i don't think any of the forumers embarassed this site with their comments. just my 2 cents.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:45 AM
Osk
2nd Gear Member

wow, i might have to get this for myself for xmas.

but i've read in these forums that you need decent tires, huh? how much would those run me? i'm guess "slicks" are expensive as heck. i think my ghey bullit rims are 17s. so how much would some decent 17 tires (that have enough traction for 4:10s or 4:30s) run me? dang, i need to ask for a raise..

edit: sorry for the back-to-back-to-back posts. my bad. there's no "delete" button? and i'm gone for the weekend.. so thanks in advance for any further posts.

ORIGINAL: sprostang

ORIGINAL: 01yellowgt

SCT xcal 2 programmer is $380

and this programmer does what, exactly? it allows the new gears and the speedometer to match up? or what? and does it do anything else? man, if it wasn't for that $380, i'd probably go and get gears ASAP. oh well.. maybe after xmas and all the other expenses coming up.
check out www.mustangtuning.com/mustang-gear-kits.html they have a good deal on the gear kit and tuner combo. You can also get all of the info from there about what the tuner does.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:00 AM
Matts00GT
4th Gear Member

I doubt you need new rotors and if you do you def dont need them all around. You can check the rotor to see if it's warped. If it's not just replace the front pads.

As for tires, if you want drag radials then yes they are pricey. And even then it won't GUARANTEE that you hook with 4.10s. You could be looking at 400 or more on 2 rear tires depending on what kind of deal you can get.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help answer my Newbie Questions..