4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

***PLEASE READ*** Brake Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 03:20 PM
GTnAZ
2nd Gear Member

Default ***PLEASE READ*** Brake Help!!

On Saturday, I changed my brake pads and had the rotors 'turned'. I put everything back together and got in the car and the peddle sinks to the floor.
So we bleed the master cylinder and all 4 wheels and found a little bit of air in the system but the peddle felt no better... it has no stopping point till it almost touches the floor.
So I take it into the dealership on Monday to have it looked at. They call me a few hours later and say there was some more air in the line that I must not have got out and that it’s fixed.
When I pick it up and get in and drive down the road, the peddle does the same exact thing... it just real soft... just applying normal pressure the brake peddle sinks as far as the gas peddle.
So I turn around right away and go back. I get the run around and end up having to take it back this morning.
They had the "Master certified brake tech" look at it and he said everything looks fine but it had some discolored fluid in the front lines so they drained everything again and fill it back up.
He says the reason the peddle feels so soft is b/c 1. new pads and 2. rotors being turned and not washed with soap and water before reinstallation. So he said to drive it for 50-100 miles and see if it gets stiffer.
After all this and the master tech saying it feels fine, the peddle still sinks about half way to the floor... the car stops but the peddle just isn’t right.
Has anyone else had this kind of experience and if so what did you do or what happened.
Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 02-14-2006, 04:38 PM
GTnAZ
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: ***PLEASE READ*** Brake Help!!

^^^^^
Old 02-14-2006, 05:12 PM
70 MACH I
3rd Gear Member

Gt,
First question, did you set the rear pad clearance properly? Meaning, screwing the caliper pistons in the rear in with the special tool until you got .030 clearance between the pads and rotor? If not, do so. If pedal is still soft, jack rear of the car up and bleed, bleed, bleed. Lower rear, raise front and repeat procedure. A soft pedal is air in system, no other reason.
John
Old 02-14-2006, 05:12 PM
PipsBlackStang
4th Gear Member

Well dude you learned your lesson. Always bleed your brakes and get some brake cleaner in a spray can when your installing new rotors. I dont know how something major could have been damaged unless you did some f*ed up brake job.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:18 PM
GTnAZ
2nd Gear Member

Yes i used the tool to screw the rear pistons back in the calipers.. i didnt check the clearance but there is no gap between the pad abd rotor and its not dragging.
The breaks have been blead by the dealer 2 times now... so i would assume that is good enough to ensure that there isnt air in the lines.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:21 PM
GTnAZ
2nd Gear Member

How did I learn my lesson when the tech said there is no mechanical errors, only some air in the lines... yet the peddle is still way too soft after he fixed it?
Old 02-14-2006, 05:23 PM
PipsBlackStang
4th Gear Member

Well if you bleed the brakes the first time correctly you probably wouldnt be in this mess.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:25 PM
70 MACH I
3rd Gear Member

If you start trusting Techs, you have real problems. I trained GM Techs for 7 years, just like Doctors, we have Techs who earned A's in school, and Techs who got low C's. TRUST ME, BLEED YOUR BRAKES WHILE ELEVATED. Or, take it to someone who knows what the F**K they are doing.

John
Old 02-14-2006, 05:26 PM
GTnAZ
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PipsBlackStang

Well if you bleed the brakes the first time correctly you probably wouldnt be in this mess.
we thought we did do it right... only a few air bubbles came out of the right rear wheel so we thought there wasnt any more air. Even if i did it wrong the tech at the dealership pressure blead the system so it should be fixed.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:27 PM
PipsBlackStang
4th Gear Member

A soft pedal is air in system, no other reason

Quick Reply: ***PLEASE READ*** Brake Help!!