4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

upr o/r xpipe install question

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 10:29 AM
blackbetty01
4th Gear Member

Default RE: upr o/r xpipe install question

I have another question about the install, I also just got my X-Pipe and I couldn't reach the bolts connecting the Stock H-Pipe to the Exhaust Manifold, What size extension did you use, and did you use a swivel socket? My kit is missing the swivel socket and I hadn't cared until last night[:@] Now I think I need to get at least one more six inch extension since I already have a 3', and a 6' extension. Plus could you daisy chain swivel sockets? Meaning, attaching a six inch extension, swivel socket, six inch extension then another swivel socket? I think that would make it very easy to access the bolts, but I am not sure I will be able to get any torque on the bolts. Thanks for all help.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:33 AM
MustangMafia
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blackbetty01

I have another question about the install, I also just got my X-Pipe and I couldn't reach the bolts connecting the Stock H-Pipe to the Exhaust Manifold, What size extension did you use, and did you use a swivel socket? My kit is missing the swivel socket and I hadn't cared until last night[:@] Now I think I need to get at least one more six inch extension since I already have a 3', and a 6' extension. Plus could you daisy chain swivel sockets? Meaning, attaching a six inch extension, swivel socket, six inch extension then another swivel socket? I think that would make it very easy to access the bolts, but I am not sure I will be able to get any torque on the bolts. Thanks for all help.
It's that difficult to reach the header bolts? Ugg, I'm going to be installing my midpipe myself once I figure out which one I want to buy. Also, did you use ramps or jack stands or what? I'm looking for any advice I can get to make this install as painless as possible...
Old 02-16-2006, 10:38 AM
blackbetty01
4th Gear Member

My Aunt owns an Oil changing shop so I just go there after hours and then I can pull my car over the pit and stand up to work, makes things so much easier. If you don't have access to a pit or Lift I would suggest either some good ramps or just paying someone because I had no idea how far up the pipes went before connecting to the exhaust manifold, I thought this was gonna be even easier then the headlight installation.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:42 AM
MustangMafia
4th Gear Member

My Aunt owns an Oil changing shop so I just go there after hours and then I can pull my car over the pit and stand up to work, makes things so much easier. If you don't have access to a pit or Lift I would suggest either some good ramps or just paying someone because I had no idea how far up the pipes went before connecting to the exhaust manifold, I thought this was gonna be even easier then the headlight installation.
Well since my midpipe is gonna be O/R, the shops here cant legally install it. So I guess that means I'll just have to enlish the help of my friends. And clearance was one of my main cocerns (along with the header bolts I have heard so many horror stories about). So you think ramps would be my best bet as far as getting under there? Also, do most aftermarket midpipes use the stock manifold bolts?
Old 02-16-2006, 10:46 AM
blackbetty01
4th Gear Member

Mine came with new bolts and brackets, I bought an O/R pipe as well, and I haven't even tried to call around about install because their is only two exhaust shops near me, one is a dic, the other is a rip-off, so I wouldn't even want their help.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:50 AM
MustangMafia
4th Gear Member

Mine came with new bolts and brackets, I bought an O/R pipe as well, and I haven't even tried to call around about install because their is only two exhaust shops near me, one is a dic, the other is a rip-off, so I wouldn't even want their help.
If there was a place around here that would install it for me, I would probably just pay to have them do it. Unfortunately, they can't legally do it. I am guessing this install is gonna be a royal pain in the *** with only ramps....
Old 02-16-2006, 10:54 AM
blackbetty01
4th Gear Member

All I can say is good luck, and hopefully someone will answer my question about the easiest way to get to the exhaust manifold, other then that, the rest is easy and you could lay in your driveway and get the rear bolts and O2 sensors off.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:58 AM
country_gent

Yeah, you will need a few extensions to get to the passenger side bolts... A bit of WD-40 on the nuts wouldnt hurt either, let it soak for a few min and it should be able loosen up pretty easy... I used jack stands around all 4 corners just to make sure I would have enough room under my car, but my 01 is lowered a little as well, so you may be able to get by with just 2 under the front and also, a Swivel Socket will be your best friend in this situation, about the only way to get to the passenger side bolts....

Rich
Old 02-16-2006, 11:01 AM
MustangMafia
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: country_gent

Yeah, you will need a few extensions to get to the passenger side bolts... A bit of WD-40 on the nuts wouldnt hurt either, let it soak for a few min and it should be able loosen up pretty easy... I used jack stands around all 4 corners just to make sure I would have enough room under my car, but my 01 is lowered a little as well, so you may be able to get by with just 2 under the front and also, a Swivel Socket will be your best friend in this situation, about the only way to get to the passenger side bolts....

Rich
Might be a dumb question, but where do I put jackstands at if I decide to go that route? Do I put em in the same place I would put the jack used to change a tire? Sorry for the retarded questions, but I have never done any of this stuff before...
Old 02-16-2006, 11:02 AM
blackbetty01
4th Gear Member

^Thank you very much for the help, I spent a good half hour looking at the bolts and thinking of the easiest way, I definitely would say a swivel socket is a NECESSITY from what I could see, and by my guesstimations you will need a 15inch reach on the passenger side, the drivers side is alot lower, but you will still need a good extension, oh yeah and make sure you have a good set of deep sockets! The bolts on the front are 15mm.

Quick Reply: upr o/r xpipe install question