4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

cams might do it

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 02:13 AM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: cams might do it

ORIGINAL: H0SS302

ORIGINAL: ben790450

DO NOT put stage 2 cams in unless you have headwork done. End of story.
alot of ppl have stage 2's and just swap the springs with it nd they are fine? i dont see the problem with just doing that?
You can do it and itll run ok but why? You wont see any more power than if you had stage 1 cams and you might actually loose power. This is what VT told me. Stage 2's are designed for aftermarket or ported heads. Why would you put them on stock heads? People do a lot of stuff to their cars that they arent supposed to and there cars still run. . . . . But it has to do with engine life, performance, mpg, etc. . .
Old 09-08-2007, 02:14 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

There isnt much of a lope with stage 1's. BUT LISTEN PEOPLE!

Stage 1's are meant for no headwork and stock internals. . .
Stage 2's are MADE to work with headwork (Ported or aftermarket heads)
If you get stage 2's with stock heads they wont work efficiently and wont work properly.
99% of cam manufacturers will tell you that stage 2 cams are meant for motors with head work. If you want that lope you WILL need stage 2 cams but you'll also need head work along with that.
lol 99% of the manufactureres also say not to put a 75mm tb on an na car but nobody listins to that.. but back on topic, iv never heard that befor, interesting [sm=icon_cheers.gif]
Old 09-08-2007, 02:15 AM
1BAD3V
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1BAD3V

DO NOT put stage 2 cams in unless you have headwork done. End of story.
So would buying stage 2 cams and stage 2 heads be a good combo? I want to start a nice build, but dont no sh*t about internal mods and stuff.
Yeah that would be awesome on even stock internals. Stage 3 stuff is for built and blown or N20 motors. You'll see a great gain with a stage 2 setup. Itll really wake the car up and sound really wicked matched up with a good pair of long tube headers
On my 01 GT I've gotten many compliments with just my o/r h-pipe and very rare 1 chambers. And I've gotten alot of compliments with my 05 GT and its o/r x-pipe and Flowmasters. LT's would be something to do with cams and heads, but having the heads and cams would be great. Would I need a dyno tune or what? And I know I would need the springs.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:18 AM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

Yeah it would be a very good idea to dyno tune it. Headers are a good idea becuase the most restrictive part of the 2v newedge stangs are the heads and headers. They're the bottleneck. Not the manifold, intake, throttle body, mid pipe, or catback like everyone seems to think. Address the heads and headers and then you can start making some good power. . . I ordered the complete heads from patriot. They came with new springs. . .
Old 09-08-2007, 02:20 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

have you dynoed your car yet ben with the new stuff u put in a while back? curious on ur na #s
Old 09-08-2007, 02:23 AM
1BAD3V
6th Gear Member

Yeah it would be a very good idea to dyno tune it. Headers are a good idea becuase the most restrictive part of the 2v newedge stangs are the heads and headers. They're the bottleneck. Not the manifold, intake, throttle body, mid pipe, or catback like everyone seems to think. Address the heads and headers and then you can start making some good power. . . I ordered the complete heads from patriot. They came with new springs. . .
That seems like the better thing to do. Do they just send out the heads with cams and springs and all you do is install it? And if so is it hard and how long would it take? And is it driveable say an hour or 2 to getto a dyno? Sorry for the Q's, I'm just getting back into modding the 2v and I need alittle help. Thanks
Old 09-08-2007, 02:26 AM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

No i havent dyno'd yet becuase i havent finished. The new block is getting put in right now. . hoping for 340 rwhp. . . or thats what they're projecting. . . Im throwing on a 200 shot MAYBE sometime soon . . have to get used to all the new found power first. . . Ok to answer questions the heads came put together. All you have to do is put the cam in etc. . . piece of cake. Yeah you're car will be fine to drive around. It'll run just fine so long as you get the timing but i would get it to the dyno before you did any hard hitting to get the a/f ratio worked out. . . Yeah no problems man thats what these forums are for is to ask questions and try and answer them!
Old 09-08-2007, 02:31 AM
1BAD3V
6th Gear Member

No i havent dyno'd yet becuase i havent finished. The new block is getting put in right now. . hoping for 340 rwhp. . . or thats what they're projecting. . . Im throwing on a 200 shot MAYBE sometime soon . . have to get used to all the new found power first. . . Ok to answer questions the heads came put together. All you have to do is put the cam in etc. . . piece of cake. Yeah you're car will be fine to drive around. It'll run just fine so long as you get the timing but i would get it to the dyno before you did any hard hitting to get the a/f ratio worked out. . . Yeah no problems man thats what these forums are for is to ask questions and try and answer them!
I was just asking because I've heard of these little packages where you get the cams and heads, but I just didnt know if they shipped it out already together and you just installed it on your own. Take out the old heads with cams and installed the new ones.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:33 AM
ben790450
I ♥ Acer

With stock headers its easy to do a head swap. You just un bolt the heads and take the header and head out as one unit. With Long tubes you have to lift the motor or drop the k member. I had long tubes so i just took it to a shop because i dont have the right tools. I guess you can probably get the heads and cams all pre put together but idk becuase i got them from two different places.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:41 AM
1BAD3V
6th Gear Member

With stock headers its easy to do a head swap. You just un bolt the heads and take the header and head out as one unit. With Long tubes you have to lift the motor or drop the k member. I had long tubes so i just took it to a shop because i dont have the right tools. I guess you can probably get the heads and cams all pre put together but idk becuase i got them from two different places.
I'd probably find a shop that installs this stuff and tunes it. I would love to do it, but I have sh*t for tools. I usually have my Brother-in-law come over whenever I'm doing something to the car, hes been a mechanic for about 12 years so he has the tools and some skills.

Quick Reply: cams might do it