4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

is this true about the Gears?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 04:30 AM
CrazyHorse0217
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: is this true about the Gears?

ORIGINAL: MaKaVeLi

i know that theresa thread about gears every day and you all sick about it!

i make my mind with going to have a 3.73 gears

so i went to the auto shop and i told him that i want to buy and install a 3.73 gear for my auto, then he said that i should get a 3.43 for m auto and if i go with a higher one it could damage the transmission!!!!specially with auto!!!!!

is that true?? [>:]
If you want something to worry about, worry about the installation. If they don't get it set up perfect (not easy), you will have the dreaded gear whine. Make sure these guys have done LOTS of Mustangs, and get the FRPP gears.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:17 AM
MaKaVeLi
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: defconfire

I would go for it 100%, no questions asked, " do not fear the gear"

PS: I say get an sct, not a predetor

i already ordered a predator cause that what my local dyno use
Old 09-14-2007, 07:21 AM
MaKaVeLi
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stone629

I have a different opinion about gears causing harm. Installing a lower gear ratio takes the load OFF the tranny. That's why your car revs quicker after a gear install. True, your car will rev higher on the highway, but your talking about raising your RPMs by 300, which isn't going to shorten the life your transmission. Your axles are the only thing that's going to feel the extra pressure.The only thing I don't like about my gears is the drop in MPGs. If your only concern is your transmissions life expectancy, get the gears! This is honestly the first time I have heard this theory, ever! Raising your shift points,line pressure,stalls, drag radials, dothe mostdamage.
tunning would hurt the transmission? so if i get the car tuned it tell the tuner to not change the shifting?
Old 09-14-2007, 07:24 AM
MaKaVeLi
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tim2002gt

If you are worried about it hurting your transmission, have the shop also install a transmission cooler at the same time. A tranny cooler is a good idea for anybody with an automatic, gears or not.
i already got it [8D]
Old 09-14-2007, 07:34 AM
MaKaVeLi
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

i know that theresa thread about gears every day and you all sick about it!

i make my mind with going to have a 3.73 gears

so i went to the auto shop and i told him that i want to buy and install a 3.73 gear for my auto, then he said that i should get a 3.43 for m auto and if i go with a higher one it could damage the transmission!!!!specially with auto!!!!!

is that true?? [>:]
What you need to do is buy a 100 dollar car, line it up with the front of their shop, put a brick on the pedal, and then slam it into gear.

After he comes out with a dumbfounded look on his face whip out your junk and slap him across the face while calling him a moron.

Go with a 3.73 or 4.10. Anything less is just wasting your time and money. 4.10 FTW in an auto!
LOL!
yeah f%k him!! GEARs FTMFW
Old 09-14-2007, 10:02 AM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stone629

I have a different opinion about gears causing harm. Installing a lower gear ratio takes the load OFF the tranny. That's why your car revs quicker after a gear install. True, your car will rev higher on the highway, but your talking about raising your RPMs by 300, which isn't going to shorten the life your transmission. Your axles are the only thing that's going to feel the extra pressure.The only thing I don't like about my gears is the drop in MPGs. If your only concern is your transmissions life expectancy, get the gears! This is honestly the first time I have heard this theory, ever! Raising your shift points,line pressure,stalls, drag radials, dothe mostdamage.
tunning would hurt the transmission? so if i get the car tuned it tell the tuner to not change the shifting?

That is totally up to you. Raisng shift points puts that much more pressure on your transmission. I had mine raised, but with the understanding that it might last last as long. It will help you at the track, and the only time you will notice the change in shift points will be at WOT. I raisedmy pointsand lowered the line pressure mainly because I got sick off the jerkiness under normal driving ,but wanted to stay in the powerband a little longer when racing.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:10 PM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

definitely go with 4.10 in an auto and do not look back... I love my 4.10s so much more tq at low rpms.