4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

exhaust cutouts!@?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 11:24 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: exhaust cutouts!@?

ORIGINAL: tmas99

running open headers may run into warping your exhaust valve. Letting off the throttle from high RPMs will allow air to suck back through the header... and that's why it is bad to run open headers/manifold ALL DAY!!! at the track is fine and maybe a couple of cruises but i wouldnt do it all the time... but hey it's not my car, it's yours im just giving you my opinion.... and ghostrider02gt ask your shop if it's ok to run your car open headers all the time if they know anything (which i hope they do) they will say no just to race...
more of those internet myths, my shop said it was OK from the get go, it wont harm the engine, just performance, damned N/A 2vs, but you have your "theories" and I have mine, Ill follow what I know, you can follow what you want...
Old 11-16-2007, 04:21 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

sooo cooling the exhaust valve is bad for it. haha that is absurd.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:29 PM
timeformiller44
4th Gear Member

ghostrider prove to me that u can drive around all the time with open headers and not fuc anything up...PLEEEAAAASEEEEEEE prove it to me...id love to see it..
Old 11-16-2007, 04:30 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tmas99

running open headers may run into warping your exhaust valve. Letting off the throttle from high RPMs will allow air to suck back through the header... and that's why it is bad to run open headers/manifold ALL DAY!!! at the track is fine and maybe a couple of cruises but i wouldnt do it all the time... but hey it's not my car, it's yours im just giving you my opinion.... and ghostrider02gt ask your shop if it's ok to run your car open headers all the time if they know anything (which i hope they do) they will say no just to race...
So what your saying is that when you lift at high RPM the air flow thru the engine changes? Or are you saying that when you lift the overlap of the cam changes? Or are you saying that that exhaust gases nolonger push their way out of the header alowing air to travel back up? You are making no sense. The only way air trys to get back into the combustion chamber is when you have alot of backpressure. With open headers you have very little backpressure.

I dropped a 351W in my buddys 91gt and he ran open short tubes for about 4 months until he got tired of the sound and had his exhaust fabbed up. It will do nothing to the valves, that is an internet myth.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:36 PM
timeformiller44
4th Gear Member

lol why do we all argue about crap no one can prove
Old 11-16-2007, 04:41 PM
livefast1
5th Gear Member

you want proof. exhaust valves get burnt because they lose their ability to transfer heat to the head. this is possible in only a few ways, damaged valve seat, long periods of valve float, misadjusted valvetrain. even if air was sucked back in the exhaust, how could this possibly damage the valve, it would only further cool it.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:01 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: livefast1

you want proof. exhaust valves get burnt because they lose their ability to transfer heat to the head. this is possible in only a few ways, damaged valve seat, long periods of valve float, misadjusted valvetrain. even if air was sucked back in the exhaust, how could this possibly damage the valve, it would only further cool it.
+1

Do you know one of the reasons why a cam has overlap in it? SO the air/fuel charge will rush through the exhaust valve cooling the seat and the valve and drop chamber temps. Air rushing in (if it was at all possible for air to get sucked back through the exhaust, which its NOT) would only further cool the exhaust valve leading to cooler cumbustion chamber temp allowing for more timing and more hp.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:14 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: timeformiller44

ghostrider prove to me that u can drive around all the time with open headers and not fuc anything up...PLEEEAAAASEEEEEEE prove it to me...id love to see it..
I would, but im not down for getting a ticket
Old 11-18-2007, 12:20 AM
tmas99
3rd Gear Member

believe it or not air at high rpm's with open headers can get sucked back in and warp the valve... but like i said earlyer and ghostrider said it i believe one thing and you believe another and only time will tell who is really right... so if you think that it's ok to run open headers by all mean do it.... but for some odd reason when you get a warped valve you know why!
Old 11-18-2007, 12:27 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

ive been told open headers is bad as well... maybe just to show off or something but not driving down the road every day... i plan on getting a set later on down the road when the car is back on the road.

Quick Reply: exhaust cutouts!@?