4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

exhaustt cutouts

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 05:32 PM
02StangGuy
4th Gear Member

Default exhaustt cutouts

i was looking around on jegs and found these. they are really cheep but i have a few questions. first, will they go in place of my cats? i have no problem getting rid of my cats, they are gutted anyway. second, will i need any other parts to install them? am i going to gain anything/loose anything from them when i open them up? considering its pretty much like running open header, will this kill any back pressure that i would have? as long as it isnt bad for the car i think i am going to get them just for the sound.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...51312_-1_11529
Old 12-29-2007, 05:34 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Default RE: exhaustt cutouts

Waist of time on our long stroke-little bores.... You wont get anything except a exhuast leak for your troubles.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:36 PM
02StangGuy
4th Gear Member

damn. they arent even good just for the sound?
Old 12-29-2007, 05:41 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Have you ever been next to a 4.6 with open headers? I'd rather listen to a honda with a fart can.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:43 PM
02StangGuy
4th Gear Member

aha ok ok scratch that idea i guess. is there any way i could take out my mufflers and replace them with slp resonators or something? i want a different sound but dont want to get a whole new catback
Old 12-29-2007, 05:48 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

I just found a video on you tube. It actually doesn't sound bad "in the video." In person it really does sound bad.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:05 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sxynerd

I just found a video on you tube. It actually doesn't sound bad "in the video." In person it really does sound bad.
Those are the same ones I used.

I have 3 or 4 vids on youtube of mine with the cutouts open. It sounds cool if you have cams, at idle, but it's just a raunchy, wild, unrefined tone when revving. And the resonance is absolutely rediculous. I haven't opend mine more than 2-3 time since I got them 6 months ago.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:10 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

I have 3 or 4 vids on youtube of mine with the cutouts open. It sounds cool if you have cams, at idle, but it's just a raunchy, wild, unrefined tone when revving. And the resonance is absolutely rediculous. I haven't opend mine more than 2-3 time since I got them 6 months ago.
Zach, I need a huge favor... I went to have mine put on last week and the guy said that my car was too low, could you possibly post up a pic from under the car for me and measure the height of the car?? Do you have any rubbing issues that you didn't have before them?

Mike
Old 12-29-2007, 06:18 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 01GT4.6

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

Zach, I need a huge favor... I went to have mine put on last week and the guy said that my car was too low, could you possibly post up a pic from under the car for me and measure the height of the car?? Do you have any rubbing issues that you didn't have before them?

Mike
I'm headed out to eat supper, I'll get you a pic on the way back in later tonight!
Old 12-29-2007, 09:49 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

As promised here's the pics. Now that I look at it, it's awful low. lol. Scrapes on speed bumps and such. don't have a whole lot of trouble tho.

Quick Reply: exhaustt cutouts