4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Whats needed to wheelie???

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 04:24 PM
kecclest
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Whats needed to wheelie???

Found it... Here you go.
So I do have a correction... he ran a 12.5 @ 108. He lifted both wheels on a STOCK suspension S197 with stock gears... holy cow that just defies everything you've ever believed.
So you guys are right, it is absolutely impossible for me with similar power, a lighter car, drag setup suspension, 3.73s, and305/45/18 Nitto DRs to pull one wheel off the ground.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:25 PM
texas_stang02
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wisk

Whats needed? This:

http://svtperformance.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=460773
nice that car looks like it could have even pulled the front end up from a rolling start
Old 02-16-2008, 05:41 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kecclest

Found it... Here you go.
So I do have a correction... he ran a 12.5 @ 108. He lifted both wheels on a STOCK suspension S197 with stock gears... holy cow that just defies everything you've ever believed.
So you guys are right, it is absolutely impossible for me with similar power, a lighter car, drag setup suspension, 3.73s, and305/45/18 Nitto DRs to pull one wheel off the ground.
Ok dude. I almost believed you when you said Nitto's. I thought maybe you meant 15's. But not 18's. NEVER! It is by far 1000% impossible. Did you see the picture of that S197 you just posted? LOOK AT THE BACK TIRE! It's a soft sidewall drag tire(bias-ply) 15 or 16in, not a POS 18in Nitto. If you knew what to look for, you wouldn't have posted that link. Your Nitto's could not DREAM of wrinkling like that.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:07 PM
kecclest
2nd Gear Member

Aye, I did see that, and it is very impressive all the wrinkling.
But, if you can believe a 15" rim with 26" tall nittos can pull a wheelie, then why is it so hard to believe that an 18" rim with 28" tall nittos could "NEVER" pull a wheel? You are talking a 1/2" difference in sidewall height. You can't tell me that .5" difference would take it from plausible to "NEVER". I think there are alot of assumptions around here, and you know what they say about that. But I'm done discussing this as I don't want to ever pull a wheel again. I would much rather hook up and go straight than have wheels up hoping I stay straight.

ZW99GT, besides your post being unhelpful to the OP, the truth is you don't need tons of power and, for a matter of fact, you don't need ANY suspension mods whatsoever to pull BOTH wheels. Just cut the weight down as much as possible, get some 15s and some 26" ET Streets, and get your power up to par with an S197. Oh yeah, and remove your front sway bar.

I'm sorry 2000GT that you couldn't get the wheels up, but it sounds to me like you should be more content in your setup because clearly it is working better than you hadexpected.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:23 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

Aye, I did see that, and it is very impressive all the wrinkling.
But, if you can believe a 15" rim with 26" tall nittos can pull a wheelie, then why is it so hard to believe that an 18" rim with 28" tall nittos could "NEVER" pull a wheel? You are talking a 1/2" difference in sidewall height. You can't tell me that .5" difference would take it from plausible to "NEVER". I think there are alot of assumptions around here, and you know what they say about that. But I'm done discussing this as I don't want to ever pull a wheel again. I would much rather hook up and go straight than have wheels up hoping I stay straight.

ZW99GT, besides your post being unhelpful to the OP, the truth is you don't need tons of power and, for a matter of fact, you don't need ANY suspension mods whatsoever to pull BOTH wheels. Just cut the weight down as much as possible, get some 15s and some 26" ET Streets, and get your power up to par with an S197. Oh yeah, and remove your front sway bar.

I'm sorry 2000GT that you couldn't get the wheels up, but it sounds to me like you should be more content in your setup because clearly it is working better than you hadexpected.
You aren't telling me anything I don't know. I've been on 17in MT radials, 16in BFG radials, 17in Nitto 555r's, 26x11.50x16 ET Streets, 26x10 ET DRAGS, 28x9 ET DRAGS, and my current street tire which is a 275/60/15 Nitto 555r. I've been on differnt tracks, some good, and some bad, but I found out that radials suck(even with 328rwhp n/a). I completely understand that it doesnt take much power, nor tons of suspension work. My car has pulled the driver front tire on 28in ET DRAGS, with NO(as in stock) suspension work, but a considerable amount of power. But I do know for a fact that it needs GOOD tires to do so. And Nitto's don't count. I have probably the best imagineable Nitto "drag friendly(if you can even call it that)" tire they make . 275/60/15 on 8in Welds. That's a 28in by the way. And they are an EXCELLENT street tire, but a crappy track tire.

It's a stiff sidewall sticky tire, thats all there is to it. It's not gonna be able to grab like a Bias Ply, and I don't expect it to. It'll take the hit when I spray on the street in second, and that's all I need it for. When I wanna do from a dig, and pull a wheel or two, I throw on the MT's.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:45 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Found it... Here you go.
This is a MT ET street they are running, and from what I can tell its the track only really sticky one at that (there are 2 tire lines with almost identical mods). Trust me from experence (back to back swapping, and my MTs arn't as good as these) there is simply night and day difference between a 15 inch MT ET street and a 17 inch nitto.

There is no way you are seeing mid 200 WHP 2v GT cars pulling the front tire (even one) off the ground on a nitto.IMO you are not going to pull the front tire with a 17 inch nitto D/R no matter what your supension setup and horsepower are. The tires make ALL the difference.

I was the first one to say you don't need that much power to pull the tires (in this thread), and I agree that you could be seeing low HP bolton only 2v doing so... but they are doing so with plenty of gear and nice sticky tire with plenty of sidewall.

The nittos are simply not sticky enough, and frankly your car is not making enough power at 2500 RPM to pull the tires anyway. At 2500 RPM a n/a 2v would be lucky to see180 WHP and maybe 250 FT/LBs. Your not going to take a mild gear, and mild suspension setup, throw a nitto 17 D/R on there, and pull a front tire with 2xx WHP and a 2500 RPM launch. Hell, I don't think a bolton GT will pull the front tires REGARDLESS of what tire is on there with a 2500 RPM launch.

I don't think your a liar, I think someone either thought they saw something they didn't or bull****ted you. What you are saying is akin to saying you jumped off the sears tower and flew down the street to get a hot dog... its just impossible.

Like I said, with a nearly equal suspension setup, almost infintely better tire, 2000+ more RPM, and dammed near twice the horsepower (more than that if you count the RPM your launching at) with a straight clutch drop and I was nowhere near pulling the fronts off. Forget it on a nitto.

Just FYI, I run a 315/35/R17 nitto on the street and have done a few passes at the track with them as well. Simply put, you cannot"launch" with a nitto, only take off quickly. What I mean by this is that you cannot rev the engine up to significant RPM (if your making good power anyway) and then dump the clutch with them, and that is exactly what is required for you to pull the tire/tires on launch (either that ora T O N of power). You mustget that clutch drop instant"smash" to get the tires off the ground... and a 17 inch nitto isn't doing it.

Edit: Basically what I am saying is that you simply did not leave at a high enough RPM to pull the front tires anyway. The entire argeument on weither or not the nittos are sticky enough is not even important... because you cannot pull the front tires with a 2500 RPM launch in a bolton only 2v. I don't care how hard you dump the clutch, even sidestepping it and letting it snap up, its not enough to get the fronts or front off the ground.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:27 PM
Injected97GT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

Found it... Here you go.
This is a MT ET street they are running, and from what I can tell its the track only really sticky one at that (there are 2 tire lines with almost identical mods). Trust me from experence (back to back swapping, and my MTs arn't as good as these) there is simply night and day difference between a 15 inch MT ET street and a 17 inch nitto.

There is no way you are seeing mid 200 WHP 2v GT cars pulling the front tire (even one) off the ground on a nitto.IMO you are not going to pull the front tire with a 17 inch nitto D/R no matter what your supension setup and horsepower are. The tires make ALL the difference.

I was the first one to say you don't need that much power to pull the tires (in this thread), and I agree that you could be seeing low HP bolton only 2v doing so... but they are doing so with plenty of gear and nice sticky tire with plenty of sidewall.

The nittos are simply not sticky enough, and frankly your car is not making enough power at 2500 RPM to pull the tires anyway. At 2500 RPM a n/a 2v would be lucky to see180 WHP and maybe 250 FT/LBs. Your not going to take a mild gear, and mild suspension setup, throw a nitto 17 D/R on there, and pull a front tire with 2xx WHP and a 2500 RPM launch. Hell, I don't think a bolton GT will pull the front tires REGARDLESS of what tire is on there with a 2500 RPM launch.

I don't think your a liar, I think someone either thought they saw something they didn't or bull****ted you. What you are saying is akin to saying you jumped off the sears tower and flew down the street to get a hot dog... its just impossible.

Like I said, with a nearly equal suspension setup, almost infintely better tire, 2000+ more RPM, and dammed near twice the horsepower (more than that if you count the RPM your launching at) with a straight clutch drop and I was nowhere near pulling the fronts off. Forget it on a nitto.

Just FYI, I run a 315/35/R17 nitto on the street and have done a few passes at the track with them as well. Simply put, you cannot"launch" with a nitto, only take off quickly. What I mean by this is that you cannot rev the engine up to significant RPM (if your making good power anyway) and then dump the clutch with them, and that is exactly what is required for you to pull the tire/tires on launch (either that ora T O N of power). You mustget that clutch drop instant"smash" to get the tires off the ground... and a 17 inch nitto isn't doing it.

Edit: Basically what I am saying is that you simply did not leave at a high enough RPM to pull the front tires anyway. The entire argeument on weither or not the nittos are sticky enough is not even important... because you cannot pull the front tires with a 2500 RPM launch in a bolton only 2v. I don't care how hard you dump the clutch, even sidestepping it and letting it snap up, its not enough to get the fronts or front off the ground.
what makes this post evenbetter is that he isn't running 17s, he said he's running 18s.