4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Anyone use the sniper tuning software?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 09:32 AM
HaneyMotorsport.Com
Banned

Default RE: Anyone use the sniper tuning software?

ORIGINAL: texas_stang02

ORIGINAL: HaneyMotorsport.Com

The Sniper software works very well. Wetune our company /customer cars with it.

There are two versions you can go with. The Special Forces and Commando. Going with the Commando will give you all the parameters to play with!

Here is a link for more info onthe Sniper software

Casey

i don't mean to jack the thread, but i've got a question for you Casey. i've got the basic Special Forces right now and i've heard that i can upgrade to Commando and only have to pay the difference between SF and Commando without having to actually buy an entirely new interface/software package. any truth to this?
Yes, no problem upgrading! You can contact us for more info and pricing.

Thanks

Casey

Old 03-10-2008, 12:44 PM
Hoppers04Gt
4th Gear Member

Sounds interesting. Do you see better gains from the special forces software than a handheld tuner?
Old 03-10-2008, 01:46 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

yes
Old 03-10-2008, 01:47 PM
texas_stang02
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Hoppers04Gt

Sounds interesting. Do you see better gains from the special forces software than a handheld tuner?
not necessarily.. the reason you'd go with Sniper rather than a handheld is to give you more control over spark timing and the air/fuel mixture. the optimum spark advance and a/f ratio will give you the "better gain", so it's not so much about how much hp/tq you'll gain with SF compared to a handheld, it's about being able to fine-tune everything rather than relying on a mail-order tune that may or may not be right for your application. with a wideband o2 sensor i was able to fine-tune my a/f ratio throughout the rpm range with the Sniper software, at WOT and part throttle.. this is something my old XCal2 wouldn't let me do.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:29 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The Sniper SF package got me 6 HP more peak, and 7 to almost 20 HP more in the mid-range than a dyno-tweaked 93 octane Granatelli Fuego tune (here are the dyno charts).[/align][/align]The SF package offers more settings than any handheld I've seen, the interface box can hold 5 tunes (6 counting the OEM tune) and you can carry that around in the glovebox. The weak point is that the SF software offers no mechanism to document the tunes, and does not save some settings (returnless f/p offset, traction control and EGR on/off status, and all timing and fueling settings) when you create a tune.[/align][/align]Good news is that I created a Windows application (W95+) that captures the settings, creates indexed reports, and let's you load a saved report and "stuff" the missing values back into the Special Forces editor. There's more about this here...[/align]
Old 03-10-2008, 05:51 PM
ottos
2nd Gear Member

^^ edumucated