4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Rear end girdles (1%ers in here)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 02:59 PM
9 Sec 93 LX
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Rear end girdles (1%ers in here)

ORIGINAL: blackonblacksls

this is the first i have seen people make such a big deal out of the rear end girdles... i dont really see how they would make a difference, it seems like a wierd place to flex enough to hurt anything..
All I'm saying is spend your money where it's needed.
Then everyone else can look at your rusty diff cover as you blow by them.
But seriously I was just pointing out how strong the Ford 8.8 rear really is!

[IMG]local://upfiles/95778/7EFCA865CDA44E17B380D4C423686BB6.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-26-2008, 07:16 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 9 Sec 93 LX

this is the first i have seen people make such a big deal out of the rear end girdles... i dont really see how they would make a difference, it seems like a wierd place to flex enough to hurt anything..
All I'm saying is spend your money where it's needed.
Then everyone else can look at your rusty diff cover as you blow by them.
But seriously I was just pointing out how strong the Ford 8.8 rear really is!
That is called "spending out of your own pocket." He's going to buy it and just because you don't think it's not a good investment doesn't make it wrong.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:28 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

case flex and internal gear movement is probably the number 2 or number 3 reason for failure, after axle tube movement and acutally shearing a gear (more likely on a stock 28 spline setup).

Old 04-27-2008, 04:45 AM
9 Sec 93 LX
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

case flex and internal gear movement is probably the number 2 or number 3 reason for failure, after axle tube movement and acutally shearing a gear (more likely on a stock 28 spline setup).

Who told you that? (The guy who sold you the girdle.)
My list of rearend failures.In Order of failure
1.weak factory posi unit
2. wimpy factory axles
3. main cap breakage, what everybody doesn't understand is if the cap cracks (THE GIRDLE DOESN'T WORK!)
I never sheared any gears? 28 spline?
Thats all I gotta say.
I'll be quiet now.
Old 04-27-2008, 04:53 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

1.weak factory posi unit
2. wimpy factory axles
3. main cap breakage, what everybody doesn't understand is if the cap cracks (THE GIRDLE DOESN'T WORK!)
Thats all I gotta say.
I'll be quiet now.
The aftermarket girdles support the main caps if you acutally do the install correctly. Thats 1/2 the entire point of the girdle, the other point being to eliminate case flex.

Its an open bowl, with one side basically having nothing but a thin metal cover (that does nothinig). Is it that hard to see it flexing?

When I did my install I also did the main studs, and the main studs now come into contact with the girdle supports (would without em too). So, you basically have a thread that goes down into a hole, then has a nut holding the main caps, and then the stud is more or less attached and supported from movement by the outer girdle.

Your acting as if this is a 1000,000 dollar mod or something... its a couple hundred bucks, can't do anything negitive, undoubtably makes everything stronger, and it makes the rear fluid a LOT easier to change if you so wish, plus it looks good. Exactly what is your case against it? Surely someone with a 9 second foxbody doens't have a care in the world about spending less than 300 dollars.....

Edit: the main reason that anything will break in the rear is not that it acutally snaps, its that it MOVES and this puts it in a bind and breaks it. The girdle may not eliminate all of this movement but it does help reduce it, and anything you can do to help reduce movement has to be pretty good.

Old 04-27-2008, 04:58 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

heres a link on the corral, to a rear cap install. They also talk about the main cap support, and you can't help but admit that the stock cover > aftermarket just by looking at it...

http://www.corral.net/index.php?opti...&Itemid=26

edit: corrall doesn't sell anything, and they don't exactly need to pander to anyone to get ads...
Old 04-27-2008, 05:22 AM
9 Sec 93 LX
1st Gear Member

1.weak factory posi unit
2. wimpy factory axles
Thats all I gotta say.
I'll be quiet now.
The aftermarket girdles support the main caps if you acutally do the install correctly. Thats 1/2 the entire point of the girdle, the other point being to eliminate case flex.

Its an open bowl, with one side basically having nothing but a thin metal cover (that does nothinig). Is it that hard to see it flexing?

When I did my install I also did the main studs, and the main studs now come into contact with the girdle supports (would without em too). So, you basically have a thread that goes down into a hole, then has a nut holding the main caps, and then the stud is more or less attached and supported from movement by the outer girdle.

Your acting as if this is a 1000,000 dollar mod or something... its a couple hundred bucks, can't do anything negitive, undoubtably makes everything stronger, and it makes the rear fluid a LOT easier to change if you so wish, plus it looks good. Exactly what is your case against it? Surely someone with a 9 second foxbody doens't have a care in the world about spending less than 300 dollars.....

Edit: the main reason that anything will break in the rear is not that it acutally snaps, its that it MOVES and this puts it in a bind and breaks it. The girdle may not eliminate all of this movement but it does help reduce it, and anything you can do to help reduce movement has to be pretty good.

I not slamming girdles!
Just trying to save you a little $$$ thats all bro.
You're right about me spending the money (chump change).ie I'd have one if I needed one.
Over 100 9 second passes w/o one(girdle) Thats all!
How FAST did you say you were going anyhow?
Old 04-27-2008, 05:34 AM
blackonblacksls
3rd Gear Member

i never will understand why people would even thinkg about takingadvice from people who read **** over the internet, and not from people who are out there getting it done... ring and pinions are not going to get tore up in a 400rwhp gt.... How often do you see a ring and pinion come out of a rear end looking real bad? caseflex is nothing to worry about.. take care of your axle tubes, actual dif, and, axles and you dont have anything to worry about.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:47 AM
9 Sec 93 LX
1st Gear Member

i never will understand why people would even thinkg about takingadvice from people who read **** over the internet, and not from people who are out there getting it done... ring and pinions are not going to get tore up in a 400rwhp gt.... How often do you see a ring and pinion come out of a rear end looking real bad? caseflex is nothing to worry about.. take care of your axle tubes, actual dif, and, axles and you dont have anything to worry about.
Thank You!
Finally someone who understands what I'm talking about.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:50 AM
9 Sec 93 LX
1st Gear Member

heres a link on the corral, to a rear cap install. They also talk about the main cap support, and you can't help but admit that the stock cover > aftermarket just by looking at it...

http://www.corral.net/index.php?opti...&Itemid=26

edit: corrall doesn't sell anything, and they don't exactly need to pander to anyone to get ads...
Don't even get me started on axle braces!
Whats in your garage a PRO MOD?