4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

driver side window keeps breaking

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 10:36 PM
fastsilverstang
3rd Gear Member

Default driver side window keeps breaking

I hope I'm not the only one here with the drive side window breaking problem. Its my third time I had to get it fixed. The first time they replaced the whole window. Now they are just regluing it to the stupid rail where it sits.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to fix the problem??

I found this but the link that takes you to pictures to fix the problem doesn't work.... [&o]
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ow-repair.html
Old 06-20-2008, 05:47 PM
fastsilverstang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: driver side window keeps breaking

Old 06-20-2008, 06:31 PM
stangman1976
2nd Gear Member

sounds like the regulator is bent. replace the regulator (the scissors that lifts the window up and down). I had same prob on my t-bird. that also took 2x to get right cause the regulator wasn't aligned properly the first time.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:45 PM
lilc1511
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stangman1976

sounds like the regulator is bent. replace the regulator (the scissors that lifts the window up and down). I had same prob on my t-bird. that also took 2x to get right cause the regulator wasn't aligned properly the first time.
it should just bolt up... there should be no aligning?
Old 06-21-2008, 10:46 PM
difrent7

mine got stuck down twice but my dad and i managed to get it up by tapping on the window motor and pulling it up a little. The window was just going down to far and hard trouble coming up so we put a little rubber piece on the bottom so it doesnt bottom out anymore and seems good for now
Old 06-22-2008, 01:22 AM
stangman1976
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lilc1511

it should just bolt up... there should be no aligning?
I know but the prev owner must have had same prob and elongated the holes so he didnt have to replace the regulator just moved it a lil so it would work. one of those hidden suprises on a used car.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:07 AM
fastsilverstang
3rd Gear Member

I don't think that the problem. The 99+ mustangs are having problems with their drivers side window becoming "unglued" from the rail where it sits. There has not been a recall on them because there haven't been that many reported.

Trying to find an easy fix.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:56 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

We had this problem with a rear window on my wife's '96 RAV4, the dealer "fixed" it twice under warranty, the third time I did it myself...[/align][/align]Take it apart and scrape off every bit of the old glue from the rail and window. The window is easy but the rail is a PITA, this is why the dealership could not fix it; they were too lazy to clean it right. If there's a rubber liner make sure you get that squeaky clean too.[/align][/align]Once it's clean degrease it all with denatured alcohol and use urethane glue (like Gorrilla Snot) to glue it back up. Clamp it overnight, as the urethane glue will expand when it sets.[/align][/align]I did this in the Fall of 1999, it was still fine when we sold the RAV4 3 months ago...[/align]
Old 06-22-2008, 12:53 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

We had this problem with a rear window on my wife's '96 RAV4, the dealer "fixed" it twice under warranty, the third time I did it myself...[/align][/align]Take it apart and scrape off every bit of the old glue from the rail and window. The window is easy but the rail is a PITA, this is why the dealership could not fix it; they were too lazy to clean it right. If there's a rubber liner make sure you get that squeaky clean too.[/align][/align]Once it's clean degrease it all with denatured alcohol and use urethane glue (like Gorrilla Snot) to glue it back up. Clamp it overnight, as the urethane glue will expand when it sets.[/align][/align]I did this in the Fall of 1999, it was still fine when we sold the RAV4 3 months ago...[/align]
Untill 3 days after the new owners bought it!
Old 06-22-2008, 03:52 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

So your the one that bought it!