4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

%50 done the PI Swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 06:32 PM
Lowtryx
2nd Gear Member

Default %50 done the PI Swap

As the title states..

I have ordered the PI Swap kit from Parkway Performance, as well as a pair of BBK Shorty Headers. The engine is out, and pulled apart (Rotten Oil Pan. Figured, why not do the PI Swap while it's out!).. Just waiting for my parts to get here. Basically, guys I would love to hear what you think; What would you expect my Numbers will be with the following setup:

96 Windsor 4.6
PI Intake, Heads, Cams (2004)
BBK Shorty Headers
Pypes X Pipe with High Flow Cats
Magnaflow Catback
True Cold Air Kit (Brand?)
Stock Tune
BBK Under Drive Pulleys
Old 03-24-2009, 06:48 PM
Chris98Gt
3rd Gear Member

Is the motor your building out of the mustang? if so its a romeo block. Untuned I made 250rwhp with full exhaust stage2 npi cams and lt's. Before the procharger ofcourse. I'd say you'll be somewhere around there.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:01 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

Should have gone with long tubes, especially since the engine is out
Old 03-24-2009, 07:26 PM
stangalator
4th Gear Member

sounds great!

I'm waiting for a clear weekend to start my swap (April 4-5th looks like)

i still need to spray down my pi heads with kerosene because of all the aluminum shavings in there. then reinstall the valves... can't wait to hear how it goes for you!
Old 03-24-2009, 08:02 PM
Lowtryx
2nd Gear Member

The engine is not a romeo. it's a Windsor, as stated clearly by the 'X' Engine code in my VIN (1FALP42X).
I did have my heart set on long tubes, but it would basically mean eliminating the X Pipe I JUST bought, and love

These Shorties are a stock fit, and will do just as well. I've heard the difference between Long and Short tubes, and honestly it's negligable at this point. I feel Shorties with my setup will sound as good as I'd like them. I did, however find a kit from Hooker with an Off Road X which was compatible, but 700 American before shipping to Canada wasn't my cup of tea. These are 299, and a friend is picking them up in Michigan and bringing them across the border.

I'm hoping to have it back on the road by the 7th (21st birthday, Insurance halves )
Of course, I'll let everyone know my results, although I won't be able to give accurate HP numbers. I will, however be going to my local track to get my first every ET, as soon as possible

Last edited by Lowtryx; 03-24-2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:27 PM
black35th
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lowtryx
The engine is not a romeo. it's a Windsor, as stated clearly by the 'X' Engine code in my VIN (1FALP42X).
I did have my heart set on long tubes, but it would basically mean eliminating the X Pipe I JUST bought, and love

These Shorties are a stock fit, and will do just as well. I've heard the difference between Long and Short tubes, and honestly it's negligable at this point. I feel Shorties with my setup will sound as good as I'd like them. I did, however find a kit from Hooker with an Off Road X which was compatible, but 700 American before shipping to Canada wasn't my cup of tea. These are 299, and a friend is picking them up in Michigan and bringing them across the border.

I'm hoping to have it back on the road by the 7th (21st birthday, Insurance halves )
Of course, I'll let everyone know my results, although I won't be able to give accurate HP numbers. I will, however be going to my local track to get my first every ET, as soon as possible
Actually the "X" stated in your VIN just means that it is a 4.6 SOHC. 96-98 were Romeo motors, 99-01.5 were Windsor, 01.5-04 are back to Romeo.

Look at the driver side valve cover tag, it will say Romeo.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:36 PM
Lowtryx
2nd Gear Member

I disagree.

Simply because of this:
I'm an apprentice at a Ford Dealer. In our parts department, for some reason we still (On very rare occasion) employ the Microfish system. On the microfish files ( which I can damn well guarentee are older than you or I, in some cases ) the code is clearly stated as being a production block from the Windsor Facility. I found this one day, as I was bored in our Tool Crib and pulled an old 96 Manual, and just for ****s and Giggles began decoding my VIN as to which characters meant what. I came across a number that did not fit, this being the X and tracked down one of the senior Parts Department employees who did some digging. This digging led me to the conclusion.

UNLESS, the manufacturing facility has no bearing on whether or not the Windsor/Romeo block is titled as so, then I'm a complete retard and you can disregard what I just said

But, as I said.. I did some digging and tracked down the manufacturing of the block, which was at the Windsor facility in April of 96.
What do you think? Am I a moron, and you are in fact correct, or... ?
Old 03-24-2009, 08:50 PM
black35th
4th Gear Member

Well, I just came across this site which I found to be interesting and you might too.

http://www.babcox.com/editorial/ar/eb40228.htm

I think that we might both be right here. The block might have been made at the Windsor plant, while the heads are Romeo. I've never heard of this happening but I'm sure that it might be possible. Your best bet for "truth" would be to check the actual casting numbers on your block and your heads.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:02 PM
jvog
5th Gear Member

the X does mean that it has a 4.6...pretty sure