4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

engine build project

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 10:52 AM
o2jayjay
1st Gear Member

yea i know its twin. what your point? ill see 500 rwhp with the set up i have. dont see what so confusing? my car stock has 365 hp. i'm doing a complete engine build. so.......where you lost at? 12 psi, exaust, stage 3 cams, port polish intake man, and heads with 2mm larger intake valve and 1 mm larger exaust valve! forged internals rated to 850 hp! 60 lbs fuel injectors! and your saying i not going to see 500 rwhp!? hahahah. either you never builded an engine, never see what these cars do with just a supercharger at 8 psi, never heard of the multi effect, never seen the amazing effect of cams on these car, or just plan stupid and dont know what your talking about and decided to come on my trend and bug the crap out of me. anyway for the other the engine will be dropped in this friday and dyno on the 27 of april at 3. ill let yall know what i got for hp and torque the next day.

Last edited by o2jayjay; 04-21-2009 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:59 AM
o2jayjay
1st Gear Member

o yea btw talked to the owner of that saleen and its still a SOHC motor. funny thing is i am a tab bit short of some of his upgrades. so unless a few psi, gears, give you 400+ rwhp then im screwed.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:36 AM
o2jayjay
1st Gear Member

here are some comp cam info for you guys. enjoy!

PI 2 Valve cam test

Test motor:
TEA stage 2 ported heads
DSS forged internals (stock compression ratio)
75mm Accufab TB / plenum
Hooker Longtube headers
(Run with no accessories)

Stage 1 COMP XE262AH 385hp @ 5900 rpm
Largest gain 55hp @ 6500 rpm

Stage 2 COMP XE270AH 387hp @ 6000 rpm
Largest Gain 60hp @ 6500 rpm

Stage 3 COMP XE278AH 393hp @ 6100 rpm
Largest Gain 77hp @ 6500 rpm
Old 04-21-2009, 11:42 AM
o2jayjay
1st Gear Member

here for the 3 valve people.

To even the playing field on the street and strip, engineers at COMP Cams® have recently designed a line of Thumpr™ Camshafts specifically for Ford 3 valve engine technology. The Thumpr™ Cam Sets for Ford 4.6L/5.4L Modular 3V Engines deliver an aggressive “thumping” exhaust idle and generous power gains in the middle and upper rpm range.

These new hydraulic roller camshafts will turn your naturally aspirated or blower-equipped Ford 3 valve engine into a performance machine with a minimum of installation difficulty, requiring only the addition of the COMP Cams® Cam Phaser Limiter Kit (#5449) and computer tuning. The COMP Cams® Cam Phaser Limiter Kit safely modifies the factory variable cam timing (VCT) system, allowing the use of aggressive camshaft lobe technology without sacrificing the benefits of the VCT. Another interesting feature is that the camshaft is compatible with stock valve springs, eliminating expensive valve spring changes.

Like the original Thumpr™ Camshaft line, the Ford camshafts have three different grind profiles for each engine, all of which will produce a rough, racy exhaust note and impressive gains in horsepower and torque. In fact, extensive testing of these new combinations has confirmed repeatable power gains of 25+ rear wheel horsepower with no sacrifices in long term durability.

For more information about the COMP Cams® Thumpr™ NSR Ford 4.6L/5.4L Modular 3V Cams or any other COMP Cams® product, call us at 1-800-999-0853, or visit us online at www.compcams.com.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:52 PM
Tim99GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by o2jayjay
yea i know its twin. what your point? ill see 500 rwhp with the set up i have. dont see what so confusing? my car stock has 365 hp. i'm doing a complete engine build. so.......where you lost at? 12 psi, exaust, stage 3 cams, port polish intake man, and heads with 2mm larger intake valve and 1 mm larger exaust valve! forged internals rated to 850 hp! 60 lbs fuel injectors! and your saying i not going to see 500 rwhp!? hahahah. either you never builded an engine, never see what these cars do with just a supercharger at 8 psi, never heard of the multi effect, never seen the amazing effect of cams on these car, or just plan stupid and dont know what your talking about and decided to come on my trend and bug the crap out of me. anyway for the other the engine will be dropped in this friday and dyno on the 27 of april at 3. ill let yall know what i got for hp and torque the next day.
The point i was refering to is that you are comparing you smaller s/c car to a twin turbo 900 hp car(way more efficient). Think about it. Doesnt take a genious to see what i am trying to say.
BTW, the KB 2.1 which is larger that yours, at 14 psi with all above mentioned extras(p+p heads,cams,ect..) will barely break into the 500rw range. Not saying your not going to be able to do it. just saying that it is highly unlikly unless you have a one off freak saleen blower that no one in the world has heard of but you that makes ungodly majical hp?!?! not likely.... but then again i guess you are the smart one in this thread and know everything right? anyway, good luck to you and i hope you reach your goals......
Old 04-21-2009, 01:28 PM
99BlackPonyGT
aka 'Negative Nancy'

wont 12-13 psi be pushing it with a stock blower?
Old 04-22-2009, 01:16 PM
Yellow Fever
3rd Gear Member

You've been reading too many magazines . That Saleen Supercharger will not get you to 500 HP or close to that . Is it the Series IV or II ? I had the Series IV on my 04' GT running 12.5psi and it wasn't even close to 400 HP . That was using the Chicane 66mm upper , and JDM's 10% oversized crank pulley . The Saleen is very inefficient , to say the least . Don't bother telling me I don't know what I'm talking about . As I have lived through what you're posting on .
You also say that your car " stock " is 385HP . Unless it's a 2000 Cobra R . You're way out there .

Last edited by Yellow Fever; 04-22-2009 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 04-28-2009, 08:28 PM
o2jayjay
1st Gear Member

okay, got the car dyno and found out what my rwhp is. sad to say! those guys are right and know what they are talking about. i made 351 rwhp@6200 and 335 ft lbs of torque@4000. i dont see a point in lying either. i do hate being wrong but im man enough to tell the truth. i had alot of belt slippage at 4500 rpm on the supercharger, maxing out at 9 psi. the guy at the dyno also said that the saleen supercharger are too small and cannot feed my engine enough air. i also just changed the belt today and my boost read 11 psi before my engine bogged down melting my spark plug in cylinder number 4. so i guess for those expert types! what spark plugs do yall use and what do you gap them to so they dont melt on you? as far as those cams. they are really great. no power in the lower rpm what so ever. it feels like the engine is bogging if your crusing at anything lower then 1500, but the power does comes out of no where at 3000 and a nice and strong pull at 4 till 6200. i dont have problem idling or coasting. but it will stall if the ac is running while your coming to a kinda hard stop. its has a nice choppy idle and shakes your car nicely. (doesn't throw you and your buddies around like rag dolls) i dont have a x/h pipe so its not annoyingly loud. their is alot of rattling in the tranny when at idle but goes away when i step on the clutch. the cams where by far mt fav upgrade and i recommend going with one that doesnt take power away from lower rpms.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:32 PM
o2jayjay
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Yellow Fever
You've been reading too many magazines . That Saleen Supercharger will not get you to 500 HP or close to that . Is it the Series IV or II ? I had the Series IV on my 04' GT running 12.5psi and it wasn't even close to 400 HP . That was using the Chicane 66mm upper , and JDM's 10% oversized crank pulley . The Saleen is very inefficient , to say the least . Don't bother telling me I don't know what I'm talking about . As I have lived through what you're posting on .
You also say that your car " stock " is 385HP . Unless it's a 2000 Cobra R . You're way out there .
well stock they are 365. but that at the crank. i dont know what they do to the wheels. maybe 280 or something idk. put a cam in you car and make sure its a supercharged cam and them see what you get. but the saleen blowers do suck. thanks for crushing my dreams butt munch.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:34 PM
o2jayjay
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tim99GT
The point i was refering to is that you are comparing you smaller s/c car to a twin turbo 900 hp car(way more efficient). Think about it. Doesnt take a genious to see what i am trying to say.
BTW, the KB 2.1 which is larger that yours, at 14 psi with all above mentioned extras(p+p heads,cams,ect..) will barely break into the 500rw range. Not saying your not going to be able to do it. just saying that it is highly unlikly unless you have a one off freak saleen blower that no one in the world has heard of but you that makes ungodly majical hp?!?! not likely.... but then again i guess you are the smart one in this thread and know everything right? anyway, good luck to you and i hope you reach your goals......
i hate you caz your were right. your also a butt munch.

Quick Reply: engine build project