4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

why cant i hit 12s =(

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 07:25 PM
grogan
3rd Gear Member

lol i went and grabed my timeslip so i wouldnt look like a fool lol
Old 04-26-2009, 07:39 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by black35th
I have to disagree. My Nitto's are 100% fine at the track. Everybody talks so much **** about them and I don't get it. They are a great street/strip tire, look at 01GT4.6, he pulled a damn 1.60 60' with 315/35 Nitto's. Plus if the OP plans on driving his car daily then the MT/ET's will get ate up quick.
Originally Posted by JJ03MustangGT
nope all you need is some real tires ie: MT ET streets!!! get that 60' down to a 1.7 and your in business. no need to change gears. Nittos SUCK at the track! period
lol. AT THE TRACK I cut a 1.60 60' on 17" nittos launching at 3800 rpms... with a slight bog. I could have gotten a 1.5x with a higher launch rpm on that run. There may be stickier tires out there but to say that they SUCK at the track, is wrong.

Last edited by 01GT4.6; 04-26-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:48 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 01GT4.6
lol. AT THE TRACK I cut a 1.60 60' on 17" nittos launching at 3800 rpms... with a slight bog. I could have gotten a 1.5x with a higher launch rpm on that run. There may be stickier tires out there but to say that they SUCK at the track, is wrong.
auto or m5?

are you really gonna go argue that nittos hook better MTs? i mean seriously, c'mon!!! i have a buddy with an auto that cut 1.67 - 1.70s on nittos and then threw the MTs on and cut 1.5s on stock suspension. hell ive even seen 1.7s on street tires, but it takes a lot of finesse and practice. yes nittos CAN work at the track BUT MTs will always out perform with less effort! period!!!
Old 04-26-2009, 07:59 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

1) auto or m5?
2) are you really gonna go argue that nittos hook better MTs? i
3) yes nittos CAN work at the track BUT MTs will always out perform with less effort! period!!!
1) m5
2) was I trying to argue that nittos hook better than MTs???
There may be stickier tires out there...
3) you are wrong. MT will hook better most of the time but not always. My best 60' to date is on Nittos, it also takes more effort to get my car to the other end with MTs.

The last time I went to the track I had 2 friends with the A4 LS1's, nearly identical mods but one goes to the track every week and had Hoosier Drag Radials, the other.... this was his 1st time with this car (probably 2nd time in his life) and he had nittos. He dead hooked while my friend on hoosiers nearly lost it sooo many times. My friend with the Hoosiers use to brag about how he liked them so much more than his M/T drag radials.

Last edited by 01GT4.6; 04-26-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:17 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

1) m5
2) was I trying to argue that nittos hook better than MTs???
3) you are wrong. My best 60' to date is on Nittos, it also takes more effort to get my car to the other end with MTs.
are you arguing with yourself?

if your best 60' is on nittos vs MTs, then you need more practice launching the car. first you say MTs hook better, then you say that nittos will yield better 60's. in your case, maybe nittos work better, but for the rest of the world im pretty sure MTs are the better choice for cutting good 60's. 60's that nittos just cant cut.

you might like to know that ive ran about 4 sets of them already on the last few cars ive had. i luv nittos on my DDs b/c they hook decent on the street and still get a decent amount of miles. for the money they are a great tire with a good balance of traction/durability. but for the track there arent many tires that outperfom MTs. shoot, ive seen MT ET streets outperform some slicks.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:26 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

arguing with myself? No, disagreeing with you? Yes. You stated that M/T will ALWAYS (I figured that I'd make it bigger, since you didn't catch it when I quoted you)out perform a Nitto. I said no, b/c my BEST 60' to date is on a Nitto, as you can see in my sig. I also run a M/T ET drag, so to date my Nittos have outperformed my M/T at least on one pass... proving that the M/T will not ALWAYS out perform. Will they usually, yes, probably 90-95% of the time. Always, as you claim, no. Did you stop to think that when you speak of performance, you need to consider getting all the way down the track, not just the 1st 60'. I can tell you that when my car starts to hit about the 800' mark on ET Drags, I start to cross my fingers to make it to the end. I've NEVER had that issue on nittos.

Maybe you could be kind enough to take a trip to Louisiana to teach me how to launch my car. I know I need a driver mod, and you pointed out that I need to practice, so come show me what I'm doing wrong...

I had programmer issues early in this video but check out this video @ 3.14 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5oau...e=channel_page. Please explain to me what I did wrong, I had already launched the clutch was out the loud pedal was down and about 15-20 feet out the car breaks traction and gets out the groove. BTW the other guy is my friend on Hoosiers. If you watch the last run, you'll see that I have to launch it like a kid and granny shift to get it to try to hook.... ON ET DRAGS!

Last edited by 01GT4.6; 04-26-2009 at 08:37 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:38 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

arguing with myself? No, disagreeing with you? Yes. You stated that M/T will ALWAYS (I figured that I'd make it bigger, since you didn't catch it when I quoted you)out perform a Nitto. I said no, b/c my BEST 60' to date is on a Nitto, as you can see in my sig. I also run a M/T ET drag, so to date my Nittos have outperformed my M/T at least on one pass... proving that the M/T will not ALWAYS out perform. Will they usually, yes, probably 90-95% of the time. Always, as you claim, no. Did you stop to think that when you speak of performance, you need to consider getting all the way down the track, not just the 1st 60'. I can tell you that when my car starts to hit about the 800' mark on ET Drags, I start to cross my fingers to make it to the end. I've NEVER had that issue on nittos.

Maybe you could be kind enough to take a trip to Louisiana to teach me how to launch my car. I know I need a driver mod, and you pointed out that I need to practice, so come show me what I'm doing wrong...

so what kind of 60's are you pulling with your MTs?

yea you have a bias ply tire, so of course you get a little sway. my car has never swayed the first time and im on bias plys front and rear. theres not really anything to argue about. you have your opinion which is fine, i have mine which is also fine, but lets just say for instance when you go to the track. how many sets of nittos do you see on anything going faster than a 12.0? now answer the same question with the MTs ET drags or streets? id be willing to bet that the answer is MTs!

i dont need to show you what your doing wrong, i can tell you. while on the ET drags, rev the car to 5k rpms, wait until green light bulb illuminates, release clutch pedal, and hammer gas. its not rocket science.

or you could just bring your car up here, meet me at the track, ill throw on the MTs, you bring the nittos, and i guarantee you ill out 60' you everytime!
Old 04-26-2009, 08:43 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

im pretty sure you were having problems due to a cold track and programmer acting up. the nitrous didnt help either.

I had programmer issues early in this video but check out this video @ 3.14 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5oau...e=channel_page. Please explain to me what I did wrong, I had already launched the clutch was out the loud pedal was down and about 15-20 feet out the car breaks traction and gets out the groove. BTW the other guy is my friend on Hoosiers. If you watch the last run, you'll see that I have to launch it like a kid and granny shift to get it to try to hook.... ON ET DRAGS!
Old 04-26-2009, 08:44 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

I take it that you didn't watch the video? If so you would have seen that I left black marks about 50' down the track. My best 60' to date on the M/T's was a 1.63. Sure most cars under 12.0 will have M/T instead of nittos, I guess with that statement you recommended the MT to the OP b/c you feel his current setup is good for a 12.0 or better?
I've had trouble hooking at 5k on the slicks, so maybe it is rocket science. Part of the problem is that my slicks are a little older (3yrs old, about 15 passes) but when brand new, 1.63 was all I got.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:47 PM
01GT4.6
6th Gear Member

im pretty sure you were having problems due to a cold track and programmer acting up. the nitrous didnt help either.
you're right but the programmer wasn't a factor at that point, but the cold track was. That is the same day that my friend dead hooked on his nittos, while my friend on hoosiers was all over the place. I hope that the little 100 shot I was spraying wasn't the issue.

Keep in mind I feel that (same tire size) MT vs Nitto, the MT would probably hook up better 99% of the time. But from my situation, same car, same driver, different tires (and sizes) my best 60' came from nittos. My next tire will be a 315/35-17 MT ET Drag, b/c I'd like to hook better, but I know at some point in time, I'll do worse than my 1.60. That was all I was saying, it's not always.

Last edited by 01GT4.6; 04-26-2009 at 08:53 PM.

Quick Reply: why cant i hit 12s =(