4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

Anyone Know? Exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 08:41 PM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jvog
Actually in 2010 it will be illegal in all states to alter the location of the cats. That means longtubes will be illegal no matter where you live.
still will depend on where you live. I can't imagine they start a FEDERAL inspection.

there are alot of places in arizona where I could go and not worry about inspection or anything, State regulations have quite a bit of precedent over federal laws.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:00 AM
sonicx
speed'n

Originally Posted by 2000AZ5.0GT
I was running the steeda catback for a while, best sounding exhaust I've ever heard IMHO, and that was with a Catted H and Shorties.

the only two I would suggest changing at the same time would be the midpipe and the headers, mainly because if you go with LT's, you have to get a short midpipe, so might as well upgrade them at the same time.

I'm now running Hooker mufflers (mainly because they were the quietest), but when I put the O/R H in I'm going to put the steeda mufflers back in as well.

I'll get a clip of the exhaust when I get it put up, and I'll have it running with a Condenser Mic, so it should give you a better idea of what it sounds like
Thanks

I'm going to look into it. Ruffly how hard is it to install (04 GT) & how long (# of hrs) would you say to install?

Thanks again
Old 04-30-2009, 09:43 PM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

alright, so much for being a GOOD fit. What I thought was going to be a 2-3hr job, turned into 10-11 hours. Started at 11:00 in the morning, finished around 10:30 that same night. Zero stops, nothing.

There was a leak, and after 11hrs being under a car by myself, i was too annoyed to finish myself, so took it into the shop and had those guys do it (only 30bucks to fix the leak).

Louder than F*ck now, unbelieveably, but I think it sounds good, I can feel a tad of a difference, not much though. Turns out that my other O2 sensor had two wires severed, so what that was doing as far as keeping the car from switching between open and closed loop, I dont know.

But, got it right, turned off heater banks, O2 sensors, and OBDII tests, now running fine.

Looks like the only problems I've been having are pure maintenance issues.

Although I want to find some way to make the car appear to have Catylitic Converters so I can pass inspections later this year (they only check with a mirror to see that you have them)
Old 05-01-2009, 12:32 AM
mrsinister2424
3rd Gear Member

alright, so much for being a GOOD fit. What I thought was going to be a 2-3hr job, turned into 10-11 hours. Started at 11:00 in the morning, finished around 10:30 that same night. Zero stops, nothing.

There was a leak, and after 11hrs being under a car by myself, i was too annoyed to finish myself, so took it into the shop and had those guys do it (only 30bucks to fix the leak).

Louder than F*ck now, unbelieveably, but I think it sounds good, I can feel a tad of a difference, not much though. Turns out that my other O2 sensor had two wires severed, so what that was doing as far as keeping the car from switching between open and closed loop, I dont know.

But, got it right, turned off heater banks, O2 sensors, and OBDII tests, now running fine.

Looks like the only problems I've been having are pure maintenance issues.

Although I want to find some way to make the car appear to have Catylitic Converters so I can pass inspections later this year (they only check with a mirror to see that you have them)
Why wasn't it a good fit? Shouldn't take 10 hours to install a midpipe
Old 05-01-2009, 12:43 AM
waggs
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrsinister2424
x2. i'm curious as to how they fixed the leak? i've had 4 different midpipes and all of them leaked on me. i've gotten used to the ticking
Old 05-01-2009, 01:36 AM
mrsinister2424
3rd Gear Member

x2. i'm curious as to how they fixed the leak? i've had 4 different midpipes and all of them leaked on me. i've gotten used to the ticking
I've had 3 different mid pipes: BBK catted x, pypes o/r x and summit o/r h. And I've had leaks on each except the summit, and was able to fix all of them with ease. Where is your leak coming from?
Old 05-01-2009, 01:37 AM
mrsinister2424
3rd Gear Member

WTF ****ING DOUBLE POST
Old 05-01-2009, 02:17 AM
waggs
3rd Gear Member

I've had 3 different mid pipes: BBK catted x, pypes o/r x and summit o/r h. And I've had leaks on each except the summit, and was able to fix all of them with ease. Where is your leak coming from?
i *think* it's coming from the drivers side manifold. that's where i could hear it more. i've replaced the pass. gasket like 8x and tried adjusting but still no luck. i guess my only solution is long tubes
Old 05-01-2009, 04:48 AM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by waggs
i *think* it's coming from the drivers side manifold. that's where i could hear it more. i've replaced the pass. gasket like 8x and tried adjusting but still no luck. i guess my only solution is long tubes

my leak was at the ball and socket joint on the drivers side header.

the pipe that was on there (JBA) never had any problems whatsoever, other than having to replace the catylitic converters.

anyway, they just loosened and adjusted the pipe to get it to where it isn't really leaking, or if it is, I certainly cant hear it.

the real problem was the tightening of the bolts on the passenger side flange coming from the header, why they don't have the same ball and socket type joint, Don't ask me.

anyway, I just have to tighten the catback up a little bit, and it should be perfect.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:52 AM
2000AZ5.0GT
5th Gear Member

well, number 1 thing you should know about me, the reason I sit behind a desk all day (and the reason my degree is in what it is) is because I'm horrible when it comes to turning a wrench. I've gotten alot better, but I'm still not the best

anyway, one of the main reasons was the bolts on the passenger side flange to the header, and the fact that those bolts aren't tac'd into place, so I had to use one hand to hold the bolt, and the other to put the nut on, in a very tight space.

The other reason it took so long, is I may have used a nut that was slightly small (again, this is where my lack of mechanical skills comes in), and it actually went through the flange, so we had to take the entire passenger side down to get the nut all the way through the flange and then bolt it back up.

Not to mention, 7 of those hours I was doing everything solo, by myself, with no help, so I had to kind of do 3 things at the same time.

Quick Reply: Anyone Know? Exhaust question